Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times

Advertisements

With the drought, we have no grass in the back yard. We have a lot of this red Carolina clay. Now, with the rain, we have muddy clay. We let the dogs out to potty, and they come back with their feet covered in the stuff! We try wiping it with a towel at the door, but it doesn't do a good enough job, and they end up tracking it in the house. Now I can't get it out of the carpet!

So, how do you get it off your dog's paws? And how do you get it out of your carpet? I really don't want to run them to the bathtub after every time they have to potty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
A few times, I have had to put my dog in the garage until she dried so that I could then flake off the clay and then wash her paws. It is awful. Best way to get it out of carpet is steam cleaning.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Buy some Folex - it is great at getting rid of the red clay stains on carpets, and works much better than anything else I've tried (and I've tried lots!).

Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,317 times
We use some moist wipes/towlettes to clean our dog's paws when we let him in - forget the brand but the Mrs. found it at a pet store. Works well.

We have hardwoods.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Welcome to the land of red clay!

My friends from other states used to wonder why I had the kids take their shoes off in the garage and not wear them in the house and on the beige carpet!

We also used the wipees before we replaced the carpet with hardwood. Now we just wipe the dog's paws off at the door. She sits and waits for someone to do it since we've been doing it for years! Smart dog. She's a sheltie. The kids STILL have to be reminded sometimes!

Vicki

Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
The best way we have found, is using the spray nozzle on the hose..........but since you cannot do that now we also put a square bucket and our dog knew to stop at the bucket and he would hold up a paw at a time and we would rinse them in the bucket, then rub them with a towel. the spray nozzle worked the best for us, because we had a big dog (great dane) with HUGE feet, so that clay was every place!

Leigh

Old 12-19-2007, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 32,819 times
One thing that I have found that helps a lot is to trim the hair between their paw pads. If you have a fluffy dog, odds are their feet are like little sponges. I do that with mine and it works great.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:18 PM

45 posts, read 168,641 times
I have seen a gadget in catalogs that you dip your dog's paws into for a "paw bath"...not sure how they work since I've never used it. My black lab came home looking like a chocolate lab after a couple of days at the pet resort this weekend. I've never seen her that filthy, but she looked like she had fun!
Judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary