Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 PM

30 posts, read 83,665 times

Advertisements

We recently signed a presale in west cary. It will be on slab. The upgrade options available are indeed overwhelming. I'm trying to decide which should be done now rather than later. I listed the ones I'm interested in, is there anything that can be done later at a much lower price:

1) Surround sound prewire (5.1 surround) - $590
2) Ceiling fan prewire - $150
Can prewire on the second floor be done easily later through attic?
3) Garage door opener - $370 (includes two remotes no keypad)
4) Crown molding - $200 per room
5) Brushed Nickel Faucets - $1,320 (3 Full Baths)
6) Brushed Nickel Shower Enclosure - $140
7) Brushed Nickel Bath accessories - $60 (towel bar, toilet paper holder)
8) Bathroom floor tile - $200
9) Bathroom Tile accent - $20 per sf

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM

229 posts, read 704,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtumati View Post
We recently signed a presale in west cary. It will be on slab. The upgrade options available are indeed overwhelming. I'm trying to decide which should be done now rather than later. I listed the ones I'm interested in, is there anything that can be done later at a much lower price:

Thanks!
In the grand scheme of a home price, those are all very minor things. The surround sound pre-wire and ceiling fan pre-wire both would require ripping holes in your walls, and would not be cheap after the fact. Just make sure you mark out exactly where you want the speakers located, or the pre-wire might be useless to you. I'd also really doubt you could find someone to add fan wiring even on a 2nd floor, for less than $150. We did the fan pre-wire in all bedrooms, the office, and the family room, and I'm SO glad we did.

A good garage door opener is more than $370 just for the parts, so I wouldn't say their price is that bad. Just make sure they don't give you a crappy opener. I highly recommend a Liftmaster 3800, but it's unlikely a builder would supply one. The faucets you could probably save a few bucks on if you did the installation yourself, but if you have to have someone come out and install them, it's probably a wash.

The bath accessories are a good deal. I just added a few matching Moen towel bars and hooks to our house, and I think the bars were like $35 each, and the hooks were about $20.

What exactly is the tile accent? For $20/sf it doesn't seem like a big deal unless it's a huge area. We had the option to add a decoratie tile band around the inside of our shower, and it was like $1200, so I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. We skipped that option.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,927,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtumati View Post

Thanks!
In my experience, if your builder wont let you do anything yourself (mine allowed us to pre-wire for 5.1, run central vac wiring and pipe, and lots of other stuff, but they vary):

1) Unless you have easy access to the insides of all the walls, you're probably better off doing this during construction instead of later.
2) Easier to do now - even if you have access in the attic, it can be tricky to fish wiring through walls and joists properly and to code
3) Not bad, but price them at HD or Lowes - I don't think they cost that much installed
4) This sounds very reasonable considering it'll be properly painted and caulked to match the trim
5) Yikes - sounds way high - price some bath stuff at HD or Lowes for comparison
6) Do it now
7) Seems reasonable
8) Depends on price per square foot. Decent tile work should run anywhere from $7-10/sf I think
9) $20 per square foot? Is this diamond-crusted or platinum accent? If not, sounds too high, but is not something you can do later. Expect charges for doing anything other than standard tile in a straight line. Things like diagonal placement, insets, different styles or sizes mixed together, all cost extra

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 AM

65 posts, read 112,172 times
Putting crown molding in--at your same cost per room--is probably my favorite upgrade we did. So worth it, as it makes every room look so much nicer!! It's also much easier to paint the rooms cause you don't have to make a straight line at the ceiling!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:31 AM

45 posts, read 137,889 times
What's on the outside of your home.

If it's anything other than brick I would spend my money on that.

The first time you have to paint your home your will spend more than what the upgrade costs.

Even the new pre finished siding looks bad after a few years. I have seen it in many places and after a couple of years ever joint shows and areas are faded.

I say go for the brick and wait for things like tile and faucets that can easily be done later.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florabama View Post
What's on the outside of your home.

If it's anything other than brick I would spend my money on that.

The first time you have to paint your home your will spend more than what the upgrade costs.

Even the new pre finished siding looks bad after a few years. I have seen it in many places and after a couple of years ever joint shows and areas are faded.

I say go for the brick and wait for things like tile and faucets that can easily be done later.
The exterior Garage side is all stone. It comes standard for the elevation we picked.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Sorry my mistake. Tile accent is the tile band for shower and garden tub. It's $20 per linear foot. For our bath, it comes out to $500.

Thanks for all the inputs. It really helped.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM

43,353 posts, read 77,229,425 times
If you want a tiled bath floor, have the builder do it.
He will raise the cabinets to allow for the thickness of tile underlayment and tile.
You lose up to an inch when adding tile later and effectively lower the height of your cabinetry.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,084,686 times
Not to add to you list, but if you decide to tile the master bath floor in a house built on a slab I would also add under tile heat mats. They won't be cheap, but a cold tile floor in a master bath isn't fun as you tend to be barefoot in a master. We're not on a slab, but have heat mats in our master on a thermostat timer and wouldn't do tile in a master bath w/o it.

A slip membrane between the tile and slab would be a good idea too.

Frank

Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 AM

441 posts, read 1,292,817 times
Prewire sound system and ceiling fans is my vote - you can do the other items later. One thing I did was to add a 20 amp outlet in the garage for a extra freezer or refrigerator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary