Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am moving to Durham next month for employment and need to find an apartment ASAP. I'm in my late 20's and currently reside in NJ but I grew up in SC so I am not unfamiliar with Southern towns. I am looking for a studio/1BR with a price range that ends at $650. I searched on the web and it seems that there are hundreds of apartments in the area (which is nothing to complain about) but I need your help with the following:

- Streets/neighborhoods to avoid (safety)
- Apartment buildings close to downtown with my price range
- Any apartment complexes to avoid
- Any apartment complexes to consider (not necessarily close to downtown)

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,779 times
There are a few apartment complexes in that area, but its mostly stand alone units that were mill houses once upon a time. Many are duplexes. Its possible to find something in your range among those houses. If you'll take a gander at the Duke off-campus housing website you will find a list of companies that offer rentals in the area.
There is a loft-style complex called West Village that's very close to downtown, but I think it may be outside your price range.
If you're willing to be on the west side of campus, there is a very large complex called The Forest which our son considered. They have units in your range.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
It would be awkward to post on a public forum some of what you ask. Perhaps people will DM you.

There are apartment review sites that can offer you perspectives of current and former residents. Might be worth your time.

Your best bet would be to come take a look yourself. As someone posted on another thread, check out the cars in the parking lot to get an idea of what you're getting into.

Durham seems to change street by street. Friend rented a decent townhouse across from nice homes and a greenbelt. Around the corner was a street lined with entrepreneurs sitting out on lawn chairs.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary