Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM

139 posts, read 617,970 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubby might be taking a job transfer to Raleigh. I am told to live just outside the triangle for affordable houses. Being from NY a house under 400K is VERY AFFORDABLE! Taxes under 7K are also considered very affordable (where I live now taxes range from 10-20K a year). My concerns are mostly crime rates and taxes. I grew up in NYC---BX, Yonkers, and moved to the burbs of Westchester county...I am looking for the same thing...I would like to live 30 minutes away from Raleigh. Where does that place me? I was also told to stay near the triangle to be out of the path of hurricanes & tornados. I probably sound stupid but spending my entire life in NY, I haven't had to deal with too many hurricanes or tornados. IF hubby takes this transfer I am not too concerned with meeting fellow New Yawkers, I know you most of you are living in NC! You will find me right away because I have a very THICK NEW YAWK AXE-CENT! NEW YORK TO NORTH CAROLINA---GOOD IDEA???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 AM

560 posts, read 2,850,092 times
Important question is where hubby will be working? Also, how long of a commute can he tolerate. We can go from there!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:42 AM

324 posts, read 1,286,064 times
I think you might be asking the wrong question. I think you will be more interested in living 30 minutes from where you work, versus 30 minutes out from Raleigh. Commuting here is a problem and you might get better advice depending on your work location. There are so many suburbs that are wonderful to live in but commuting is a major issue if you don't want to be on the road for a long time. I don't think you will have any trouble finding a great place for under 400k in or out of Raleigh. Actually that should buy you a really nice house .

Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
Also keep in mind that nowhere in or near the Triangle will put you out of the path of hurricanes or tornadoes. We've had hurricanes hit NC and move inland maintaining a Cat 1 hurricane status even over Raleigh and areas NW of here. Its not common, but it does happen. Also, hurricanes and thunderstorms can and often do spawn tornados all over the state, but primarily in areas east of the mountains. They're not as common as in the plains states, but tornadic activity is both impossible to predict and avoid in these areas.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,767 times
One thing more you might want to consider is that living 30 minutes outside of Raleigh is not like living 30 minutes outside of NYC. There are many places in fact most places inside of the Raleigh city limits that are about the same population density as Weschester County, NY. I suggest you do a lot more online research of the area and try to narrow it down a bit as far as the specific areas you want to concentrate on. That is what my wife and I did and we were quickly able to cross areas off our list after visiting them until we found what was right for us. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM

Default HI, Update, sorry for the lack of info

Hi, hubby will be working in Raleigh he can handle up to a 45 minute commute. Since I currently live about 30-40 mins from NYC and I am in the burbs, I thought that would be similiar to what I am looking for in NC. I know I am a SILLY NEW YAWKER....

Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,846 times
For 400k, you can live anywhere you want in Raleigh! Inside the Beltline (center city) is the best place to live in my opinion.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieproductions View Post
Hi, hubby will be working in Raleigh he can handle up to a 45 minute commute. Since I currently live about 30-40 mins from NYC and I am in the burbs, I thought that would be similiar to what I am looking for in NC. I know I am a SILLY NEW YAWKER....
Raleigh is a broad description of where. Could you be a bit more specific? I work in North Raleigh, a hop, skip and a jump from Wake Forest. This is quite different from working in downtown Raleigh, same city on the mail but entirely different commute from home.

By the way up until May of this year, I too was a silly new yawker from long gisland!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM

Here is another question...Dear fellow transplanted New Yawkers, how do you like living in NC? Do you miss NY? I know I will not miss the taxes and outrageous price of houses. Anyone think it was a mistake to move from NY to NC? Thanks so much for all of your replies, I will start doing my homework on Raleigh.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieproductions View Post
Here is another question...Dear fellow transplanted New Yawkers, how do you like living in NC? Do you miss NY? I know I will not miss the taxes and outrageous price of houses. Anyone think it was a mistake to move from NY to NC? Thanks so much for all of your replies, I will start doing my homework on Raleigh.
I have said this before and think it gives a good indication of my feelings for my new home and my old one.

If someone bought me a house like I have now on the same size lot and paid my taxes for me back in NY I would say thanks but no thanks and I would stay right here in lovely NC!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary