Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

I'm a native, grew up in west Raleigh/east Cary. Went to AB combs, Ligon and Athens Drive. I don't think it's too big. Lots of things have changed, most for the better though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM

208 posts, read 633,831 times
I think the growth is a good thing. However, very rapid growth isn't always. I hope Raleigh doesn't become another Atlanta somewhere down the line as far as wild sprawl.

I haven't been to Raleigh lately, so assuming the growth trend several years ago is still continuing, I can only imagine what the area looks like now. The growth when I was living there was absolutely astonishing.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
I think the growth is a good thing. However, very rapid growth isn't always. I hope Raleigh doesn't become another Atlanta somewhere down the line as far as wild sprawl.
It is indeed well on the way to becoming another "Atlanta"--as you seem to acknowledge yourself:

Quote:
I haven't been to Raleigh lately, so assuming the growth trend several years ago is still continuing, I can only imagine what the area looks like now. The growth when I was living there was absolutely astonishing.
I don't know how long ago you mean by "several years ago", but the growth rate has only gone up, with a small dip during the early recession. All of those "best places to live" lists certainly don't help (unless you're in real estate). Lots of folks moving from big cities to get away from the hustle and bustle, not seeing to realize they are bringing it with them, in sheer numbers.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM

528 posts, read 935,458 times
I haven't been in Raleigh as long as the other posters (was born in the DC area) but I've been around long enough to remember when there was a Burger King at Cameron Village and when I had to park "on top" for work. Even though parking as gotten impossible, I like the "new" Cameron Village better.

Overall, I like Raleigh better now because there are more amenities than there used to be. I'd like to see even more cultural offerings and hope that our downtown will continue to grow and thrive.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM

206 posts, read 310,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I haven't been in Raleigh as long as the other posters (was born in the DC area) but I've been around long enough to remember when there was a Burger King at Cameron Village and when I had to park "on top" for work. Even though parking as gotten impossible, I like the "new" Cameron Village better.

Overall, I like Raleigh better now because there are more amenities than there used to be. I'd like to see even more cultural offerings and hope that our downtown will continue to grow and thrive.

For a while Cameron Villiage was the farthest out of town I ever went. Then one year I got bold and went all the way out to Crabtree Mall lol I would walk to the movie theater in Cameron Villiage in about 20 minutes. This was late 70's. It was a much nicer area back then imo.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Born here...attended Clarence Poe, Aycock, Enloe. I don't have a problem with Raleigh getting too big. It's the people here that have gotten too big for their britches that I have a problem with.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM

206 posts, read 310,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Born here...attended Clarence Poe, Aycock, Enloe. I don't have a problem with Raleigh getting too big. It's the people here that have gotten too big for their britches that I have a problem with.

Do you remember any of your teachers names at Clarence Poe? I went there in the 2nd grade in the mid 60's. I still have my report card! My teachers name was Mrs Cherry. I don't remember what she looks like but I have a vague memory of srubbing my desk after getting caught writing on it.

We lived down the road from Clarence Poe for almost 2 years. I don't remember much about the 2nd grade itself but I remember we rode our bikes up and down the road. I forget the name of the road? Sunrise Ave? I forget but I know we lived on Sunrise Ave someplace in Raleigh when I was a kid.

The house we lived in near Clarence Poe was torn down in the 70's and turned into an apt complex. But I remember it like it was yesterday.

Just looked at google maps. It was Peyton St we lived on, about a half mile or so from the school. Such a nice place to live in the mid 60's. I have no idea what it's like living there now. I just rememebered there were woods behind our house and when I got to high school I saw a folklore book saying those woods were haunted. But we played all over that area in the summer and in the woods, never saw anything. I need to drive out that way to see how much it's changed, if at all.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
For a while Cameron Villiage was the farthest out of town I ever went. Then one year I got bold and went all the way out to Crabtree Mall lol I would walk to the movie theater in Cameron Villiage in about 20 minutes. This was late 70's. It was a much nicer area back then imo.
I agree! i lived in Cameron Village from '74 to '78. Love that place! Did you ever go to the Village Underground?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
To the where is everyone from, the Census has a neat tool. Click on Wake County and you can see the net gain/loss Wake County has with every other county in the Nation.

US County Migration Patterns

More residents of Wake County moved to Johnston (902), than any other county. Then Watauga, Alamance, Mecklenburg, Harnett, Denton County, Texas
More residents of Cumberland moved to Wake (892), than any other county. Then Durham, Guilford, Franklin, Montgomery County, Maryland.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
Do you remember any of your teachers names at Clarence Poe? I went there in the 2nd grade in the mid 60's.
Do I?

Grades 1-6 in order...Horton, Williams, Tunstall, Bowling, Howell and Sheperd. Mrs. Hicks was principal. I even remember the janitor's name...Julius. I started 1st grade there in the fall of '57 and finished 6th in spring of '63. I can still smell the aroma of liver coming down the halls from the cafeteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary