Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 PM

37 posts, read 75,077 times

Advertisements

I used to wear Hickey Freeman & Oxxford suits daily.

Then tried the $300 specials.

I've since realized that the different brands fit differently even within their own lines, and the materials differ year to year.

Find what you like and buy 2 of what you like in different colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:25 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Brooks Brothers products last and last. I wouldn't go anywhere else. Consider getting a reinforced crotch for additional life on the pants.
The OP wanted to pay less than $300. You will have to convince them it's worth $700-2100 for a Brooks Brother suit.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:31 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The OP wanted to pay less than $300. You will have to convince them it's worth $700-2100 for a Brooks Brother suit.
Understood. If you assume the suit is worn once a week, the BB at $700 on sale -- sometimes the separates can be had for a little less -- should last 10 years. A less expensive suit is likely to require replacement long before then (or look bad). So in terms of annual cost, I'm not sure that the less expensive suit is really less expensive.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
I've paid for top of the line suits from Brooks Brothers and bought the disposables off the rack at K&G. What I now prefer is to find a better quality suit at Belk and bring it to my tailor for alterations. I don't wear suits frequently enough that I need to spend $1,000 anymore and the last two suits I purchased at Belk in 2009 have held up amazingly well.

The only absolute rule I'd apply is don't buy uber-cheap suits, they look horrible from across the room and are uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 AM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
If the OP is fresh out of college and doesn’t work in a traditional business environment – banking, finance – a slim modern suit might look okay. Otherwise – to me – they look silly.

For the OP, you can’t go wrong with a charcoal or navy two-button suit. If you buy a quality suit and take care of it, it will last. And don’t forget to get a couple of very good quality dress shirts to go with it.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thanks a million for the information and links above.

Husband and son are both buying suits next week. Wedding coming up this summer so husband needs to look dashing. Son needs to look respectable for interviews for graduate school. Would like to stay under $300/suit.

Husband probably won't wear this suit a half a dozen times in his life. Son--who knows?. Neither are shoppers, so if the first suit they try on doesn't ride up in the crotch or end midcalf, they'll be good to go. I'll be herding them through this and I don't know a darn thing about suits so trying to get up to speed.

This is what I've gathered so far:

100% wool. Non-fused, half-canvassed construction. Top button at the waist. Bottom of jacket slightly below crotch. No gap behind neck. Sleeve length gauged by holding arms out perpendicular to the floor. Sleeve end should rest on start of hand with about 1/2 inch of shirt showing. Anything else to look for?

Belks or Brooks Brothers (1818 line) at Crabtree or K&G on Capital.

Additional advice appreciated.
A lot of this depends on how you are built. If your son is of a regular build, and can buy off the rack, MW is probably fine. If he is overly tall, broad shouldered or something else, he might need a different approach. I struggle personally because suits that fit my shoulders are way too big in the belly area. Anything I buy requires extensive recutting. My brother can buy one off the rack and have the sleeve adjusted and me fine.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Thanks to all of you, we went to Belk's at Southpoint yesterday and got two nice looking suits, shirts, ties, belts.

The sales staff was remarkable. Helped us figure out sizes and cuts and when the line at the register kept pulling him away, Michael called over the assistant store manager to help us. They were both knowledgeable without being pushy or condescending. Though I dreaded the whole experience, turned out to be rather pleasant.

Everything's off to be altered. Whew!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:52 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Saks 5th Ave at Triangle Town Center has Armani, Zegna and Hugo Boss. $700-$2500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary