Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:40 AM

53 posts, read 91,812 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am hoping to make contact with anyone who is from Raleigh and knows about some of its history. It seems that many of the posters here are from other areas. Are there any natives on this board? I am hoping to get some information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,619 times
There are a few on the board...but even if a person isn't a native to Raleigh....this board is full of knowledgeable folks....why not ask your question(s) and see what happens?
I have quite a few books on Old Raleigh and *might* be able to help...just depends on what you're looking for...

Old 06-14-2009, 09:51 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
There's always Raleigh History museum - NC Museum of History: Exhibits

1,190 posts, read 4,050,183 times
Default reply

I am a native and love old Raleigh history. You cannot learn all of your history in a book. It really helps to have lived thru some of it and have family that has lived thru more. BTW- I love the state of Alabama. RTR!! PogglyWoggly is also very knowlegle about all things Raleigh. What questions do you have?

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
You might meet a couple of natives, well-steeped in history on this thread.

You should be looking for uncletupelo, askmisterbrown, pogglywoggly, and a few others.

But... not me.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Default reply

Thanks Mike. How could I have forgotten the great askmrbrown. He has forgotten more Raleigh history than I actually know. Tide- You also might want to check out the Raleigh History Musuem on Fayetteville Street. It has some really cool stuff and is full of Old Raleigh history.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM

I probably should have addressed the topic differently. I am actually wanting to know about some of the families in Raleigh, dated back to the early 1900s. I doubt I will find it here but thought I would give it a shot. I am looking for information on some of the editors for Progressive Farmer Magazine who started the magazine in the early 1900s and then launched Southern Living after it moved to Alabama. I called the corporate offices in Alabama and talked to someone who was very familiar with Southern Living's background, and he told me that the editors from Raleigh (who are all deceased) were the ones who owned Progressive Farmer and started Southern Living. Some of the names were Clarence Poe, Eugene Butler, William LaRue, and I believe an editor with the last name Kilgore. I was also informed htat Clarence Poe was one of the founders of the NC museum of history. Does anyone from Raleigh know any of these names or where I can find some of their articles? I have found some information about Clarence Poe on google but have found very little about the other editors. I am interested in learning more about them and reading some of their articles from Progressive Farmer.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:02 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatide View Post
I probably should have addressed the topic differently. I am actually wanting to know about some of the families in Raleigh, dated back to the early 1900s. I doubt I will find it here but thought I would give it a shot. I am looking for information on some of the editors for Progressive Farmer Magazine who started the magazine in the early 1900s and then launched Southern Living after it moved to Alabama. I called the corporate offices in Alabama and talked to someone who was very familiar with Southern Living's background, and he told me that the editors from Raleigh (who are all deceased) were the ones who owned Progressive Farmer and started Southern Living. Some of the names were Clarence Poe, Eugene Butler, William LaRue, and I believe an editor with the last name Kilgore. I was also informed htat Clarence Poe was one of the founders of the NC museum of history. Does anyone from Raleigh know any of these names or where I can find some of their articles? I have found some information about Clarence Poe on google but have found very little about the other editors. I am interested in learning more about them and reading some of their articles from Progressive Farmer.
Have spend every summer and holiday in Raleigh but some things you have to refer to books. I'll see if anything I have mentions them. The suggestions of the Raleigh City museum is a good one!

ETA: Sorry...no mention of any of those folks or the magazine in the indexes of the books I have. But it has reminded me that I should scan some of these pics...fun to see the Crabtree mall area as pastures!
But did find this:

http://www.northcarolinahistory.org/...pedia/82/entry (which says it was started in Winston...which if Google is correct is just about Winston-Salem...maybe try their boards, too)

ETA again: You might also try contacting the folks at this blog:
http://goodnightraleigh.com/
He/They have a few contributors that give great descriptions of some of the by gone eras. (one of my fav Raleigh posts of all time was their "Underground" post about Cameron Village) Nothing as far back as you're asking but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited by daveraleigh; 06-14-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Default reply

Try calling the offices at Longview, which was Clarence Poe's lovely estate off New Bern avenue. The Kilgore family was also well known for starting Pine Stae Cremery. There are still Poe's and Kilgore's around town. The Martin family in Raleigh(one own NOFO) are desendants of Mr. Poe. I will try and give you more detailed info later.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 AM

I have googled all of these names and came up with some information about Clarence Poe but can't find much about the other ones. I did find that an agricultural building at NC State was named after Euguene Butler but not much else. I also called Longview a while back but they didn't seem to know much. The most information I've been able to receive was from the offices in Birmingham. But that was it. I am a Southern Living Magazine fanatic and would love to read some of the articles from these editors who built Progressive Farmer from scratch. But it's hard when they are all deceased and don't seem to have much family left in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary