Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Are the cultural offerings keeping up with this growth, or do you just have an ever expanding suburbia? Question, not statement...
Define "cultural offerings".

I'm truly not being sarcastic. I've just found that people define these factors differently. For example, I'd include things like live theater, live music (all genres), a selection of museums, theaters that show indie and art films, and a wide variety and choice of ethnic restaurants and grocers as "cultural offerings". And on those counts, Raleigh /Durham do pretty well.

But my definition doesn't fit everyone's viewpoint.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 04-17-2013 at 04:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Are the cultural offerings keeping up with this growth, or do you just have an ever expanding suburbia? Question, not statement...
I think the answer is Yes and Yes.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Define "cultural offerings."

Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
You gotta love those folks that don't want any more people moving in AFTER they moved in!!!

I say, if you don't like it here, there are plenty of HICK towns in the area you can move to. I was raised in one and although hubby would love to move back, it ain't happening!

I will say this...this buying frenzy is scary. I'm concerned that once it has ended, the prices that have gone up won't remain up and my buyers will have over paid. I prefer when folks can take their time and make an educated decision. Some people have to purchase when they move here and this is a tough time to find that great home. Homes are selling in desirable areas, in a matter of hours. Scary.

And with more people moving here, our inventory is getting very low. It has been a buyer's market for so long, maybe it is only fair that it become a seller's market for a while.

Vicki

Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM

334 posts, read 867,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You gotta love those folks that don't want any more people moving in AFTER they moved in!!!

I say, if you don't like it here, there are plenty of HICK towns in the area you can move to. I was raised in one and although hubby would love to move back, it ain't happening!

I will say this...this buying frenzy is scary. I'm concerned that once it has ended, the prices that have gone up won't remain up and my buyers will have over paid. I prefer when folks can take their time and make an educated decision. Some people have to purchase when they move here and this is a tough time to find that great home. Homes are selling in desirable areas, in a matter of hours. Scary.

And with more people moving here, our inventory is getting very low. It has been a buyer's market for so long, maybe it is only fair that it become a seller's market for a while.

Vicki
Believe it or not some of us did not move here they were born here. As with all the Realtors I know the population could go to a billion as long as they're selling.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I have noticed in my neighborhood and the couple immediately adjacent, houses are suddenly selling in 1 day to 1 week after a long time of it taking months even at fire sale prices. Hopefully things are finally turning around for real. Of course every house that sells in 1 day at full price is money left on the table but it's hard to set a price when it suddenly starts going up and hard to say no to a full price offer.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Believe it or not some of us did not move here they were born here. As with all the Realtors I know the population could go to a billion as long as they're selling.
It isn't just about Real Estate. You could say the same thing about businesses here and you could say the same thing about landlords, contractors, etc. People are good for business. Ask the Chamber of Commerce! Ask the people who are working due to the growth.

I've lived here in NC since I was 3 years old and I've lived in Raleigh since the early '70s. The small town that I'm from has NO growth and is stagnant. I'd rather live in a thriving area.

Would I love to have Raleigh back the way it was in the 70s? NO. Would I love to have Raleigh back the way it was in the early 90s? YES. Less traffic and more like "Mayberry" and "I" felt it was the perfect size for ME. However, I don't control any of that so I make the best of it.

If Raleigh gets to the point that I don't like it, I will move. But I am smart enough to know that I have no control over the situation so I make the best of it. We are truly blessed to live in this area.

Many people in this area buy homes, not just those that are relocating. Some buy smaller to downsize and some buy larger as their family grows. If no one moved to the area, there will still be buyers and sellers of real estate. Surely you understand that?

Vicki

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Define "cultural offerings".

I'm truly not being sarcastic. I've just found that people define these factors differently. For example, I'd include things like live theater, live music (all genres), a selection of museums, theaters that show indie and art films, and a wide variety and choice of ethnic restaurants and grocers as "cultural offerings". And on those counts, Raleigh /Durham do pretty well.

But my definition doesn't fit everyone's viewpoint.

We still need LIGHT RAIL I can't emphasize that enough, especially with the caliber of Universities we have and RTP sitting the middle of everything. We do well culturally I think also, but we could do better. I've yet to see a Oriental or Russian spa house here, theme park or even serious regional draw like a zoo or aquarium aside from the museums.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM

334 posts, read 867,657 times
Light Rail is a boondoggle. Very expensive to build and run. Even the Federal government thinks it's not feasible.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
A growing city is a good thing. Awesome news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary