Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:05 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Has anybody ever had their smoke alarms go off when your gas heat turns on for the first time of the season? I woke up to a house full of screaming smoke alarms this morning. It was a very disturbing way to wake up! Our heat kicked on around 5:45am and I guess the first blast of warm air from the gas furnace tripped all the alarms. Not sure exactly why that is, but next year I will be sure to turn my heat on during the day to test it for the first time!
Burned up a little dust on the heat exchanger and it got pumped into the house.
The smoke detectors mistook it for smoke and did their job.

Goooooooood Mooooorning!

Sorta begs the question: Have you changed your filters regularly, and used quality filters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
got the flannel sheets on but no furnace yet (we're crazies that like the fan running when we sleep)

Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Thumbs up Thansk for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Burned up a little dust on the heat exchanger and it got pumped into the house.
The smoke detectors mistook it for smoke and did their job.

Goooooooood Mooooorning!

Sorta begs the question: Have you changed your filters regularly, and used quality filters?
Good call mike. I hadn't thought about the dust factor. As a matter of fact I just changed out the filters a few weeks ago, but I was a bit delinquent on getting it done the time before that so it does not suprise me that there was some dust in the system. Last time I changed out the filters I did opt to upgrade from the cheapo blue 99 cent filters to a more substantial high quality filter. It wasn't top of the line but each filter did still set me back about $6. They are supposed to last 3 months, but I think I might rotate them out more often than that!

Let me tell, you...I never want to wake up that way again!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Yikes, I tossed out my ice scraper before I moved to Florida, had to wait for the car heater to melt the frost on the windshield

Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Frost? We haven't even had that yet here in MA, though it's been down to 33/34 in the AM when I go to work. Yes, I broke down and turned on our heat. We have five (5!!) heat zones in the house so programmable thermostats are a must! I have them programmed to go on at night when it dips below 60 in the bedrooms and 58 downstairs. They were all on this AM. I keep it about 62 during the day when no one is home and 65 in the evening. Then it's back down to 60 at night. Everyone is used to slippers, socks, sweatpants and sweatshirts in my house. We all have down comfortors and/or polartec blankets.

Warm up to 60 this PM though. That will be nice!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM

324 posts, read 1,285,761 times
You know what is fun? Going to Myrtle Beach in December and wading in the ocean . I am so excited for the temps to finally cool down a bit. I miss my winter clothes, but have to admit the change was rather sudden. I think in the past we have had much longer fall than this. There hasn't been much time to just keep the windows open without it being too hot or to cool for that.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
We hardly had a fall. It went from blazing hot to cold in about a week. What a shame, too, b/c autumn is generally the best weather of the year in NC, hurricanes excepted. That said...bring on winter! I love the cold and am itching for a good snow this year!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 PM

45 posts, read 159,681 times
Ah, so there are other crazy folks like me who relish putting on a warm sweater come fall. Apple cider just isn't the same when it's on ice. :-)

I finally succombed to turning on the heat this morning. The irony of my radiator resistance is that the house that I grew up in (in WI) was ALWAYS cold and I always complained. My mom's reply was always to put a sweater on. But then I moved to Mexico City where, like in most houses, we didn't have central heat. We got used to the cold indoors and, yes, putting on another sweater...or two...and maybe even a hat. So when the temps dipped here in N.C., what did I do instead of turning on the heat? Yup. Put another sweater on. This is despite the fact that I was thrilled when we moved back to the States to finally have temperature control of at least my indoor environment again.

Finally turned the heat on this morning after my visiting mom commented on how cold it was inside. (Yup. I know. I should have just told her to put another sweater on. heh heh heh)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary