Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM

45 posts, read 159,605 times

Advertisements

I had a no-show this morning. A handyman that I had called to get a quote on some projects around the house never showed up for a 9:00 appt. 2 other folks I had left messages for the other week never returned my call. And another guy who did come by still hasn't gotten back to me with his official quotation. Has this happened to anyone else? Egads. I thought our business would be wanted. Perhaps though our projects are just too small potatoes. We have a few carpentry projects on the "to get done" list, and I'd love to know of a good person to call for these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
This seems to be normal, unfortunately. There is enough work available that many handymen don't feel they need to keep appointments, or behave in a responsive manner to get additional work. Frustrating and sad at the same time.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM

17 posts, read 165,291 times
Before moving here I was the owner of a remodeling company in my old hometown. 70% of my work was because of this very thing and 90% of my work was due to referrals because of this. Too bad my hometown is drying up too or I'd still be doing that type of work. Contractors would give pricing and never show up. It is a shame but there's a lot of work going on here.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
This is common. I had some minor work that needed to be done on my house, and I left messages with 15 different contractors before someone returned my call. Two of them had the nerve to return my call a month after the work was already finished, and then seemed surprised that I didn't need their help anymore.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM

166 posts, read 663,879 times
Yes, we have also had the same experience with fence installers and deck builders.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Same problem recently, with a handyman on a rather large project. Totally lame.

On the positive side, I've never had a problem with The Handyman Network. I've worked with them 3 times, and each time they were prompt, professional, and did a great job.

I'm in the process now of compiling a list of things I need them to do.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
What type of projects do you need to have done? Maybe we could recommend someone that we know is reliable.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 14,545 times
I feel your pain.

I had two deck builders come out and measure for my deck project. Neither one ever showed with a quote.

Had another give a quote for a small hot-tub renovation. Quotes were outrageous. Hired the guy I used to use in Ohio....paid the guy another 50% above his quote to do the job...plus paid his travel expenses....he got a five day vacation in NC...worked two days. I still saved $1000 over the local quote!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM

45 posts, read 159,605 times
Looks like I'm far from alone in this experience. Wow, Dotneck! The savings was that drastic by hiring someone from OH?? Unbelievable!

Jln69 - Projects include having a fence built for around our front stoop, and having some shelves built in our family room. I have a referral for one other person, but would love a backup. Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I feel your pain.

I had two deck builders come out and measure for my deck project. Neither one ever showed with a quote.

Had another give a quote for a small hot-tub renovation. Quotes were outrageous. Hired the guy I used to use in Ohio....paid the guy another 50% above his quote to do the job...plus paid his travel expenses....he got a five day vacation in NC...worked two days. I still saved $1000 over the local quote!
Interestingly, the contractor who finally returned my call and did the job in a timely manner had recently moved here from Ohio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary