Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:58 PM

26 posts, read 90,498 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I apologize in advance if this has been covered ad nauseum and I just have not found the thread.

I just landed a job in Raleigh. I will be starting up there on the 14th while my family stays behind. I will have two weeks of temporary housing provided by my company. In that time, I will have to find a house to rent (since we are new to the area, we think it might be a good idea to rent for a year) and get my family moved in. Having not been in this situation before, I need some direction.

Is there a renter's agent that will take me on a tour of rental homes on a Saturday? Will this agent only take me to homes that are listed by them, or all rentals in the area?

The question is more about the process, but I will certainly accept recomendations for a specific agent.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 PM

117 posts, read 255,444 times
Default Rental Agent

Hey there, I feel your pain, as I relocated here myself a few months ago. I found a great agent who spent the time researching AND touring rentals with me. She's one of the best I know in the business, and for the record I have been a Realtor myself (in VA & GA) for the past 15 years so I can be critical and a bit hard to please, lol.

I will PM you here contact info. Let me know how it goes and good luck with the move!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,505 times
Can you share the contact? My mom owns a house that she rents and need a good rental agent. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbljason View Post
Hello everyone,
I apologize in advance if this has been covered ad nauseum and I just have not found the thread.

I just landed a job in Raleigh. I will be starting up there on the 14th while my family stays behind. I will have two weeks of temporary housing provided by my company. In that time, I will have to find a house to rent (since we are new to the area, we think it might be a good idea to rent for a year) and get my family moved in. Having not been in this situation before, I need some direction.

Is there a renter's agent that will take me on a tour of rental homes on a Saturday? Will this agent only take me to homes that are listed by them, or all rentals in the area?

The question is more about the process, but I will certainly accept recomendations for a specific agent.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
The problems the agent has are the agency role and compensation.
North Carolina has no legal framework for an agent to represent the prospective tenant, so we are always representing the owner, while taking the tenant to see homes.
We can't even fill out the lease for them.

If we help the tenant find a home and get a lease signed the owner has promised in the MLS to compensate the agent for showing the property.
Sometimes that payment is as little as $25.00 or $50.00, which is not a lot for hours of culling through and then showing listings. Average is about $125. Not for each house. Just the one the renter leases.
And sometimes the agent has to wait weeks for payment, or fight to get paid, or work for free.
So, some agents will work rentals when they have time.
It really seems that there should be a system in place for agents to help folks find homes, but there isn't.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM

33 posts, read 123,993 times
Peace, can you also send me the contact name?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM

68 posts, read 145,815 times
I'd also love it if you could pm me the agent info as well!

Thank you!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
I am having the help of a rental tenant agent but as you said she gets paid by the owner so technically she works for the owner. She suggested that I can negotiate the price and is helping me doing that. So I was wondering if I should be giving her some money for helping me? If so what would be the appropriate amount?

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The problems the agent has are the agency role and compensation.
North Carolina has no legal framework for an agent to represent the prospective tenant, so we are always representing the owner, while taking the tenant to see homes.
We can't even fill out the lease for them.

If we help the tenant find a home and get a lease signed the owner has promised in the MLS to compensate the agent for showing the property.
Sometimes that payment is as little as $25.00 or $50.00, which is not a lot for hours of culling through and then showing listings. Average is about $125. Not for each house. Just the one the renter leases.
And sometimes the agent has to wait weeks for payment, or fight to get paid, or work for free.
So, some agents will work rentals when they have time.
It really seems that there should be a system in place for agents to help folks find homes, but there isn't.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,514 times
Could someone please PM the name of the reco'd rental agent. I've recently accepted a position in Raleigh and will be making a trip shortly to look for properties...

Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,965 times
Default Rental Agent

I too am new to the area searching for apartment. Will someone please PM me with an agent name?

Thank you,

Nicole

Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarbon View Post
I too am new to the area searching for apartment. Will someone please PM me with an agent name?
Good luck. However no one mentioned an agent who can help find *apartments*. Good real estate agents are too busy selling houses.

I think you are on your own finding apartments, however most new places have their own web sites. If you see something you like, you can ask city-data forum if anyone knows the specific place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary