U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 AM
 
3 posts, read 23,373 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi guys!

My husband and I live in Morrisville. He works in Raleigh. I just got offered a job in Fayetteville and we will have to move so i don't have a 3 hr commute. Problem is, we drove to Benson and Sanford, the two plausible midway points and absolutely did not like either. We are a young couple and love the Triangle area. Fuquay is looking to be our best option which would put me an hour out and my hubby 25 mins to work. Problem is, I can't seem to find decent neighborhoods when I look online. Holly springs would be great but would add about 10 minutes to the hour. Anyone have any recommendations for a nice decent area/neighborhood in these areas or possibly even south of Raleigh?

Thank you SOOO much. I have not yet accepted the job offer cos I'm so confused. I need to make a decision asap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2013, 08:10 AM
 
924 posts, read 1,962,386 times
Reputation: 1302
Well, sadly, as I imagine you probably already know, there probably is no great solution to your situation. Clearly, it's inevitable that either you, your husband, or both would wind up with a pretty substantial commute if you take the job in Fayetteville. For places that are sort of mid-way, I actually think Sanford is not too bad. It's obviously a less vibrant and active place to live than the Triangle, or even than Fayetteville itself, for that matter. But Sanford is a decent and sort of underrated place, and could be, to me, an adequate compromise. But if you've already thoroughly investigated Sanford and dismissed it, then I guess the next-best choice would probably be somewhere along the Interstate 40 corridor, preferably closer to Raleigh than Benson is, such as Garner, Clayton, the "Cleveland School" area around 40 and NC 42, or even somewhere in southern or southeastern Raleigh itself. Garner strikes me as a particularly relatively good choice, but all of those are good places to live, probably more appealing than Benson, and with commutes to Fayetteville that should be long but doable.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,456 posts, read 30,348,364 times
Reputation: 9383
My brother in law works in Fayetteville and my sister works in Raleigh. They live in the Clayton/Garner area very close to Hwy. 42. That is exit 312, if that helps. Plenty of cute neighborhoods in the area. Takes him about an hour to get to work and takes my sister about 30 minutes.

Fuquay is another option. I don't know why you are having problems finding nice neighborhoods. Fuquay has plenty. I just had clients purchase a home in Ballentine. A very nice neighborhood. Probably one of my favorites.

Vicki
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
12,370 posts, read 13,998,666 times
Reputation: 10463
I grew up in Fayetteville and live in Chapel Hill now. I probably drove from Fayetteville to Chapel Hill literally thousands of times over the past 30 years and I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to live in Sanford, either.

I think if he's working in Raleigh you should look on that side anyway. Fuquay seems like a logical choice and much better than Sanford. What part of Fayetteville is the job in? That can affect commute time quite a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and wherever planes fly
1,897 posts, read 2,846,352 times
Reputation: 2094
Fuquay without a doubt, or maybe the Cleveland(40/42) area
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM
 
3 posts, read 23,373 times
Reputation: 11
Thank you so much for the feedback. Yes i have a feeling we may end up around the Fuquay area or Cleveland as well. I am not local to the area so I don't know where to look. We may have to get a realtor to help us figure it out. I have been pulling up homes for rent online (zillow) and using that as a compass to drive to a neighborhood but that's really all we have had. If anyone knows any decent neighborhoods in any of these places (Fuquay, Garner, Cleveland area) please let me know.We will rent for a year first (budget $1500 - 2000) and then possibly buy. Oh and the job's on Owen Dr in Fayetteville.

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,456 posts, read 30,348,364 times
Reputation: 9383
Quote:
Originally Posted by sides View Post
Thank you so much for the feedback. Yes i have a feeling we may end up around the Fuquay area or Cleveland as well. I am not local to the area so I don't know where to look. We may have to get a realtor to help us figure it out. I have been pulling up homes for rent online (zillow) and using that as a compass to drive to a neighborhood but that's really all we have had. If anyone knows any decent neighborhoods in any of these places (Fuquay, Garner, Cleveland area) please let me know.We will rent for a year first (budget $1500 - 2000) and then possibly buy. Oh and the job's on Owen Dr in Fayetteville.

Thanks again!
Look at the homes that you WOULD buy if you were buying today. Those are the neighborhoods you would want to target to find rentals.

If you have kids, you'd most likely want the to be in the same area to keep them at the same schools instead of moving them twice.

Vicki
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: NC
2,011 posts, read 2,954,776 times
Reputation: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sides View Post
Hi guys!

My husband and I live in Morrisville. He works in Raleigh. I just got offered a job in Fayetteville and we will have to move so i don't have a 3 hr commute. Problem is, we drove to Benson and Sanford, the two plausible midway points and absolutely did not like either. We are a young couple and love the Triangle area. Fuquay is looking to be our best option which would put me an hour out and my hubby 25 mins to work. Problem is, I can't seem to find decent neighborhoods when I look online. Holly springs would be great but would add about 10 minutes to the hour. Anyone have any recommendations for a nice decent area/neighborhood in these areas or possibly even south of Raleigh?

Thank you SOOO much. I have not yet accepted the job offer cos I'm so confused. I need to make a decision asap.
We are in a similar situation. We'll end up in Clayton, Holly Springs, or other areas convenient to 401. Have you looked at The Park at Westlake? It's a great neighborhood and is close to 401. The 39 miles of roadway (US 401) from Raleigh to Fayetteville will eventually be widened. Here is the link:

NCDOT: US 401 Corridor Study
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM
 
924 posts, read 1,962,386 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
We are in a similar situation. We'll end up in Clayton, Holly Springs, or other areas convenient to 401. Have you looked at The Park at Westlake? It's a great neighborhood and is close to 401. The 39 miles of roadway (US 401) from Raleigh to Fayetteville will eventually be widened. Here is the link:

NCDOT: US 401 Corridor Study
Yeah, but one wouldn't take 401 to commute to Owen Drive anyway, though, unless maybe if and when it is widened the whole way (which is many years off), do you think? I've never commuted to Fayetteville on a regular basis, so maybe I don't know. But I have driven between the Raleigh area and Fayetteville area many, many times and to me it sure feels faster to take 401 if you're going to the northern or western parts of Fayetteville, and to take 40 to 95 when going to the eastern or southern parts of Fayetteville, such as Owen Drive. So that's why I would think it'd be preferable to be closer to I-40, like Garner, Clayton, or Cleveland School. But maybe it doesn't make that big a difference, and certainly some of the Fuquay neighborhoods are nice places, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: NC
2,011 posts, read 2,954,776 times
Reputation: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Yeah, but one wouldn't take 401 to commute to Owen Drive anyway, though, unless maybe if and when it is widened the whole way (which is many years off), do you think? I've never commuted to Fayetteville on a regular basis, so maybe I don't know. But maybe it doesn't make that big a difference, and certainly some of the Fuquay neighborhoods are nice places, too.
My husband works on base there a few days a week. There is major construction going along I-95 with highway detours, etc. When commuting to certain parts of Wake County (HS, Fuquay, Apex), his navigation tells him to take 401. It takes him about an hour. The commute isn't bad at all. I do think the "Cleveland" area is nice as well. I don't think the op could go wrong with either Fuquay, Clayton, or along 42. I'm just NOT a fan of the Sanford area!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top