Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 AM

9 posts, read 21,235 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are thinking of moving from SLC to NC as we are told Raleigh's weather is better and with research triangle jobs, esp. IT Jobs are not a problem(I will only move there once I find a decent Job there.).We are expecting a baby in few months so we began to think of schools & weather.

As for SLC - it is a laid back place and I have a decent job here. What we like here is - less traffic, it is cheaper(I live in a suburb:Murray) but what we don't really like is cold weather(5-6 months) and snow and so unless you are into Skiing SLC winters can be depressing as there is n't much to do. SLC can be really dry & hot in summers, so it is only in Spring & Fall you have good weather here. I like greenery a lot so was thinking CA, but it is too expensive for a single breadwinner. so someone suggested Raleigh. But I hardly know anyone from NC so would like to hear from you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_FC View Post
My wife & I are thinking of moving from SLC to NC as we are told Raleigh's weather is better and with research triangle jobs, esp. IT Jobs are not a problem(I will only move there once I find a decent Job there.).
I'm sure the hundreds of unemployed IT workers in the area will be glad to hear that finding a job here is not a problem. Depends on what skills you have. Good that you don't plan to move until you find work.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
read the pinned thread, and do some forum searches for items of interest. Then you can ask any questions you don't see addressed.

We are indeed a heavy in-migration area for weather, quality of life (slower, middle class, good place for kids), and economics.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
If you're over 40, looking for and securing an IT job is NOT "not a problem". A very good "friend" of mine told me so.

That said, if you're serious, message me and I may be able to hook you up with some local recruiters. I'm always eager to prove myself wrong.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM

oh ok. I didn't know that Job market is not that great as made out by several websites listing NC(Raleigh/Charlotte) as one of the hot IT destination in the country along with Texas. (ofcourse after CA, Seatle & NY). We just want to move to a warmer & cheaper place. If it is that bad in NC, I have to look at hotter Texas

Jobs apart. How does Raleigh compare weather & activities wise. As in SLC we were worried we will be stuck home with our Kid in winter and I saw kids go crazy staying home - playing with iPads and glued to TV all day and we can't afford to skii all winter in SLC. I just want my kid to go out and play in the sun. In SLC e.g. we only have 1-2 decent parks to go in whatever warm months we have.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_FC View Post
oh ok. I didn't know that Job market is not that great as made out by several websites listing NC(Raleigh/Charlotte) as one of the hot IT destination in the country along with Texas. (ofcourse after CA, Seatle & NY).
Look at the dates on the websites. The Triangle may have been hot in the early 2000's.

Regarding weather, check the sticky thread on Weather: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html The winter has been a bit bad this year, and schools were cancelled a few days. Snow is such a rarity, that kids here want to go out and play before it disappears!

Also check this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...e-western.html

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-07-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks Guys. Really appreciate your inputs. I will stay put in SLC for now and research Texas.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:11 PM

120 posts, read 237,693 times
Wow, so I've never read a thread with so many discouraging replies. Yes, the op needs to look on other threads to research the area, and the job market might not be the paradise he's been led to believe, but what happened to giving it the old college try? We are from Utah and love, love, love our new Raleigh area weather. Or does everyone just work in IT and want to protect your jobs by driving ppl away?!

To the op: Don't give up on NC, but I'd spread apps out to any area you think you'd like. The winters are certainly milder here, though there are ups and downs. There are a TON of great parks, and a real emphasis on small community playgrounds in my experience (we've lived here 4 years). It's a great place for young kids.

We found cost of living pretty similar to Taylorsville and Provo. Food and rent is a bit higher here, but not so much that it kills the advantages of weather and being in such a great central location for the whole east coast.

Come on down! And good luck on the job hunt.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Winter is probably better here, but having been to Utah in the summer I don't think you have anything to complain about there vs here. Utah is a gorgeous state. We loved it. It was not any hotter than here except in Moab. We flew into SLC, did Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Moab and came back up through Park City on our way to Yellowstone. It is just as hot in NC, but humid, too. And Texas is way worse!!

Come on out and visit. You might love it, but I think you're really looking for California weather some place besides California.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnsgrl View Post
Wow, so I've never read a thread with so many discouraging replies. Yes, the op needs to look on other threads to research the area, and the job market might not be the paradise he's been led to believe, but what happened to giving it the old college try? We are from Utah and love, love, love our new Raleigh area weather. Or does everyone just work in IT and want to protect your jobs by driving ppl away?!

To the op: Don't give up on NC, but I'd spread apps out to any area you think you'd like. The winters are certainly milder here, though there are ups and downs. There are a TON of great parks, and a real emphasis on small community playgrounds in my experience (we've lived here 4 years). It's a great place for young kids.

We found cost of living pretty similar to Taylorsville and Provo. Food and rent is a bit higher here, but not so much that it kills the advantages of weather and being in such a great central location for the whole east coast.

Come on down! And good luck on the job hunt.

I don't work in IT. My husband does, but he doesn't need a job and most people who are "looking for IT work" in such a broad sense aren't looking for jobs at the level he's at anyway.

I think that people are just being straightforward. If the OP really wants to be here, the OP will do more checking around.

I think "the old college try" has become more "proceed with caution" since the economy tanked.

Go look at that thread where the guy needs a car. He says he was in IT before 2011 and now cannot even afford a car because his work outlook hasn't been very good and he's taking odd jobs.

Do with that info what you will, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary