Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 15,583 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are pretty desperate, at this point, to find a good, Bible teaching, Christ-centered church for our family to FINALLY settle in and make our church home. We have visited so many churches in the area, and so far none have been a true "fit" for us. We are a family of 5 (one away in college during the school year) who are STILL feeling rootless and adrift, even after being in the area 4 years!
We are searching for a nondenominational Christian church (or interdenominational, even; we'd just rather not affiliate with Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. but simply fellowship with other committed Christians) that isn't too big to truly connect with other Believers, and isn't too small to have women's and men's groups, small group Bible study, and interesting youth programs or activities. We are upper middle class professionals who would LOVE to meet other couples and families like us for worship, friendship, mutual support and accountability, and Christian fellowship.
We live between Durham and Hillsborough, so Raleigh, Apex, and areas east of Durham would be too far for us; we'd really prefer a church in Durham or North Durham, or even in Hillsborough. Does anyone out there have any ideas for places we could try? We are so frustrated with trying to find the right church home for our family!!
In addition, we need Christian FRIENDS here in North Carolina, in the worst way! It has been very difficult being in a place where we knew no one when we came, and we still feel like we know very few even after several years. Any advice, anyone? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM

725 posts, read 1,501,025 times
Have you been praying about it? We have a family that drives 70 miles each way to go the church we attend. Sometimes the right church isn't right next door. It sounds like you have a very specific place in mind, not to big and not to small - just right. A friend of mine goes to the Calvary Chapel in Chapel Hill and said the pastor is great. I have not been so I can't offer an opinion but I trust his.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM

224 posts, read 432,468 times
Not sure I can help since we are in southern Wake Co, but I know from my experience that I need a church close to home so that I can be more involved in the community, make new friends, etc, especially after having kids. We were going to another church and I had been there many years but it was just too far for us and it had also gotten bigger, so it was hard to feel connected. We found a smaller church in our town that we love. So I can relate to what you're feeling and I hope you find the right church family!!
I sent a message to a friend in Durham to ask her--I think her church is in Durham.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM

70 posts, read 141,577 times
I would like to share my thoughts with you... We too have been without of church home for the last 2 years after a move. However, just this morning the Lord spoke to me through the pastor at one of the several churches we have attended in our search. Pretty sure He has a plan for me and for you, and it probably involves this search we are on. Keep praying and good luck to you.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Someone from another forum asked this same question and I will share with you the responses this person received:

Summit Church (X4)
Hope Chapel in Apex (X2)
Peak United Methodist Church (X2)
Hope Community Church (X3)
Journey Church

Good Luck!

Leigh

Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Might be worth mentioning the churches you've tried so far and whether there was anything you liked or disliked about them. Without some specifics, it's really just a shot in the dark for others on this forum to offer you suggestions.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM

224 posts, read 432,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Someone from another forum asked this same question and I will share with you the responses this person received:

Summit Church (X4)
Hope Chapel in Apex (X2)
Peak United Methodist Church (X2)
Hope Community Church (X3)
Journey Church

Good Luck!

Leigh
Not sure about all of those but I know some are not in Durham

Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Might be worth mentioning the churches you've tried so far and whether there was anything you liked or disliked about them. Without some specifics, it's really just a shot in the dark for others on this forum to offer you suggestions.
This.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,664 times
I mostly attend New Hope off Fayetteville Road in Durham. It's a large church right past Southpoint Mall. I've been attending there off and on for over 2 years. I still visit other churches too, but it's the only large church I have been to this long. They something called small groups to give you a smaller feel and as a way to get to know people, but I haven't participated so far. Overall I like it.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 AM

502 posts, read 896,379 times
We would love to have you visit with us at Christ the King Moravian Church on 751 (Hope Valley Road). We have members from many different denominations (like myself) and many who never before attended a Moravian Church (like myself:-))

We have an active congregation and many small groups, but it's not a huge church with thousands of members. Probably 150 - 200 between our two services on Sunday. Just the right size to actually meet people.

We've been there almost 2 years (husband and twin girls, almost 6). I sing with the Praise Team and Ben attends the men's small group on Thursday morning. My girls love KPAW (Kids Praise and Worship) which is during the service. The kids leave after the children's sermon. They also love Sunday School.

What I love most about our church is the authenticity of the people. They are who they are. You get what you see. This is also true of our pastors, Frank and Leslie Venable. They are approachable, gentle, and "normal". As a preacher's kid, I appreciate this:-) Another thing that really attracted me is one of our core values: "In the essentials, unity; in the non-essentials, Liberty; In all things, Love." Not everyone agrees on everything. Ben and I are kind of a mixed bag as well. I grew up in the Methodist and UCC and was a Religious Study Major at UNC. Ben was mostly in the Baptist church. Our theologies are all unique. But, again, in the Essentials (the Gospel of Christ), we are united. Most of the rest is just stuff.

If you haven't visited, please do. Maybe you have and it just wasn't the right fit. Hopefully, it's not because you did not feel welcome or were ignored. If so, do let me know. I know a while ago, we did have some visitors who did later speak to Frank that no one spoke to them and we were deservedly admonished:-)

Hope to see you there! Johelen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary