Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 AM

72 posts, read 288,110 times

Advertisements

My 13yo son is becoming interested in golf, and I'd like to try to find some affordable, instructor-led lessons or other opportunities for him to develop his game.

He played (for the first time) on his middle school golf team this spring, and did quite well, especially considering his inexperience. However, many of the other kids clearly have grown up at the country club and played/been instructed since a young age. I wish I had the knowledge and methods to teach him myself, but I'm sure I would do more harm than good. We are in the western triangle - durham/chapel hill area - and are hoping to find lessons or other opportunities for youth golf instruction and experience. Cost is a consideration, but not the only factor.

Hopefully someone out there can provide some insights or recommendations. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM

170 posts, read 363,034 times
Im in Holly Springs and have a guy locally who helps my son a ton. You dont need to be a member to get lessons at the clubs. He charges around 125-140 a month with a lesson once a week. PM me if you are interested and I will provide his number. You will be amazed at how much it helps.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
Haven't done any of this myself (at least locally) but had a good friend who was a golf pro, first at Hasentree then at the NCSU Lonnie Poole Golf Course.

I would think any of the clubs offer some junior instruction or you could contact a golf pro and request lessons. I always check the country Parks & Rec department offerings first because, if offered, will probably be a little cheaper than a country club.
Durham Parks & Rec didn't seem to have any golf offerings (at least on a quick search) but a search in Chapel Hill turned up this:
Caddy Shack Golf-Training Facility | Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau

You can get a free lesson during May as part of PGA Free Lesson Month. UNC Finley golf course participates, others may as well. It could be a nice starting point to find out if they have camps or lessons for juniors:
http://www.uncfinley.com/news/2008-05-02.html

I know you are in Durham/Chapel Hill but I do know that Lonnie Poole (NCSU golf course) does have a pretty strong juniors program and are very supportive of junior and college golfers:
Lonnie Poole - Group Clinics

Hopefully others out there may have specific recommendations but these ought to give you a start! Also, maybe ask the coach of his middle school team for recommendations.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
John Budwine at Wildwood Green has a youth program. Also in his group is Greg Grexa. Both are very good.

JBGA Junior Golf Camps

Wolfpack Camp Registration

Old 05-10-2013, 12:59 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,177 times
The Hillandale Golf Course is a member of the First Tee organization, and very proud of that fact, so I would suggest that you check with them. As its a public course, rates should be reasonable.
Another option could be the YMCA...that's where I learned and it was very inexpensive. We aren't involved with the Y here, so I'm unfamiliar with their program options, but its worth looking into.
And did you talk to his coach at school? Those guys usually have a line on junior programs related to "their" sport.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM

120 posts, read 251,349 times
My husband the golfer says the First Tee programs are great, and agrees that most local courses, if contacted, will have advice as far as lessons are concerned. Also seconding asking the golf coach at school - I'm sure he or she will have some names or ideas!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
The preserve at Jordan Lake and Chapel ridge have good programs. Email practicetee@aol.com for more info. My kids are in this program.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 AM

72 posts, read 288,110 times
Thanks for the great feedback, will definitely follow-up on a few of these.

FWIW, Hillandale appears to have some great Jr. golf camps over the summer. May be too late to register for summer of 2013, but something to keep in mind. Reasonable cost and I've heard good things:

Hillandale Junior Golf camps

Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 AM

169 posts, read 574,847 times
Orange County Parks & Rec is offering a golf camp for teens this summer at the Occoneechee Golf Course. My son (who had never played golf) went last summer and enjoyed it. The teens were at various skill levels - some had played a lot and others were just beginning - and the instructor adjusted the lessons for each person.
Recreation - Golf Camp

Old 05-15-2013, 01:12 PM

53 posts, read 129,401 times
I really like Fran Wilkerson at WilMar golf. She gets it with the kids and makes it fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary