Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenerznj View Post
I was originally looking at Brighton Forest but the schools stopped me short.
Just keep in mind that the school associated with Brighton Forest, West Lake Elementary is only rated a 7 with greatschools.org.
Dillard Drive Middle is also Rated a 7
Many families, like mine, use this tool to figure out where the great schools are and which areas/schools to avoid. Here is the link: West Lake Elementary School - 4500 W Lake Rd, Apex, NC - Trulia
When looking at future resale, this is always a huge factor to a relocating family.
Schools are #1!!
Best of luck to you.
Brighton Forest....which has an Apex address but is basically in Fuquay...is assigned to DILLARD DRIVE?! That's insanely far for an elementary school assignment. Also it has been a while but my wife would go on a spiel for days about how terrible it was when our older two kids were at Dillard. A lot may have changed since then though.

I agree with others who have suggested buying where you can get your kid into Olive Chapel elementary. We lived right down the road from there in Hollands Crossing when we lived in Apex and our youngest son went to kindergarten there. Excellent school. We haven't lived in the area for a while but from what I understand the new 540 extension would now be RIGHT next to the school; not sure if that has affected anyone's experiences there.

Abbington in Apex was a really nice neighborhood that is very close to Olive Chapel as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
great schools is a tool, but it's not the best tool. Who writes reviews? Folks who aren't happy usually. Sad that we as humans are that way, but we are.

ncreportcards.org contains all the score information and demographic information, for schools. I think it's the best source.

I also know that the WakeEd partnership ahs come out with a new online tool, I just haven't had time to look into it yet.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM

54 posts, read 86,296 times
Nice to see this thread pick up some steam! We will be moving late November / early December. Still not sure where. We were hoping to get started building in one of the locations I mentioned but we have not sold our house in CT yet so we will likely have to rent for a while. My wife will be working in F-V and I work at home (for now anyway) so we are focused on the locations I mentioned (for now). Would love to hear more stories about the neighborhoods, building experience, etc.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM

39 posts, read 91,004 times
we are closing in Bella Casa this week with Royal Oaks and really excited about our decision. OCE is a top notch school, the adjacent new 160 acre park being built is going to be a great assest to the community, it is in a quiet location but easy access to everything (shopping, 540...) if that makes any sense. we are pleased with Royal Oaks...i think their homes come with many upgrades included...i believe they are sold out in Parkside (have more expensive homes in the estates) but i urge you to check out the community

Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM

54 posts, read 86,296 times
We visited Bella Casa but there wasn't anything available in our size / price range at the time. We will probably check in during our next visit.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 PM

39 posts, read 91,004 times
Apex, NC - Best Places to Live 2013 - Money Magazine

one more reason!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:59 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
great schools is a tool, but it's not the best tool. Who writes reviews? Folks who aren't happy usually. Sad that we as humans are that way, but we are.

ncreportcards.org contains all the score information and demographic information, for schools. I think it's the best source.

I also know that the WakeEd partnership ahs come out with a new online tool, I just haven't had time to look into it yet.
I agree that GreatSchools isn't necessarily the best tool to evaluate schools, but in fairness, the reviews do not figure into the score that each school gets. The scores are based only on state test scores. So a school that has a "10" in GreatSchools had higher state test scores than a school that has a "7" on GreatSchools, regardless of how reviewers rate each school. The ratings and reviews by parents, teachers, and students are shown by number of stars plus the comments.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM

219 posts, read 483,673 times
As a parent with a child in West Lake Elementary School, I can say without a doubt that the new principal who came to school last year has done an incredible job of raising standards AND basically breathing new life and vitality into the school. It was so incredibly obvious that the previous principal of WLE (look it up if you're so inclined; she's a principal somewhere else now) hated her job and loathed all the "rich" people whose kids go to WLE.

Now, I am by no means rich, doing pretty well but not rich. However, many in the area surrounding the school are quite wealthy. [Yes, I'm talking to you, owners of $450k+ homes, you are rich.] As a general rule, such affluent people are very invested in their kids' education. While they can be very overbearing, demanding and downright intrusive on the local school administration -- my hat is off to teachers and principals everywhere! -- the previous principal was disinterested, unpleasant and pretty much uninterested in doing anything but the bare minimum required to get her paycheck.

We have had quite a few teachers quit since the new principal came on board, but I believe this is because he's asking more of them and he's more involved in the day-to-day happenings in the school than his predecessor. He is keenly aware of what the surrounding community needs and wants in the school, and he can and will get there. Like all good things, it will take time.

As far as the area goes, I am househunting in the same area, so I'm keeping my cards to myself right now. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
From what I understand, West Lake Elementary just got a new principal and he is getting great reviews. I know of several families who moved away from West Lake due to the previous principal so I'd take some of the reviews on greatschools.org with a grain of salt. For example, Middle Creek High School is rated a 5 on great schools, but US News rated it #7 in the state above the other high schools often revered on this site. Middle Creek High in APEX, NC | Best High Schools | US News

I love the feel of Brighton Forest (we don't live there though). It is a very pretty neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM

219 posts, read 483,673 times
I don't think you can lose in this area considering your wife will be commuting to F-V. Brighton Forest is lovely, as is Wood Creek, and both are convenient to F-V. I'd move to either in a heartbeat if I could afford to do so.

I'm completely priced out of Wood Creek, and there's precious little left in Brighton Forest under $300k. But both are lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledname View Post
Nice to see this thread pick up some steam! We will be moving late November / early December. Still not sure where. We were hoping to get started building in one of the locations I mentioned but we have not sold our house in CT yet so we will likely have to rent for a while. My wife will be working in F-V and I work at home (for now anyway) so we are focused on the locations I mentioned (for now). Would love to hear more stories about the neighborhoods, building experience, etc.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 46,936 times
What is your price range? That is the missing factor here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary