Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 AM

16 posts, read 16,537 times

Advertisements

librarySue, thank you for that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 AM

sowk09, the nursing services are for physical needs. The one-on-one aide is for physical and learning needs. But you're right, he is mainstreamed and would need to remain that way. I'm not sure what an ID/Mod class is, but he really doesn't have extreme learning needs.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
The nurse at Carrboro Elementary, which is one of the older elementary schools in CHCCS, has her own office. I had to go there just last week to pick up my 3rd grader who wasn't feeling well. She was lying down in there waiting for me.

I am not familiar with ALL the services that the school nurses in CHCCS provide, but there are a lot of people who move to the Chapel Hill Carrboro school district just for the schools, which are generally regarded as one of, if not, THE best systems in the state. We have a high tax rate (again, one of, if not, THE highest in the state) and CHCCS receives more than twice the local funding per student (at more than $5000/per pupil) than Wake Co students receive from local sources. It's a small district and unlike Wake and Durham and Chatham is not county-based. There is a separate Orange Co school system. Here's some info on school nurses in CHCCS: Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools COORDINATED SCHOOL HEALTH - Information for Parents and Healthcare Providers

Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 AM

poppydog, that is exactly the role the school nurses here in NY have. I'm just so surprised that this isn't the case everywhere. I'm not opposed to a county wide school district, in fact I did hear great things about Chatham county and their supportive IEP services. I'm not sure about the schools nurse staffing, though. I will look into CHCCS. I've heard over and again the fantastic reputation CHCCS has, I'm just not sure about being able to find a place in our budget.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM

I'm sure you can find a place in your budget in Chapel Hill. You might get more for your money elsewhere, but there are homes for every budget in Chapel Hill. The idea that there are only $600000+ homes in the area gets tossed around, but the reality is quite different. We go from trailer parks to million dollar estates. For sure you could get more house for your price point in Durham or probably in Chatham and parts of Wake, but you don't have to buy a $600,000 house to live in Chapel Hill.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-26-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
i'm sure you can find a place in your budget in chapel hill. You might get more for your money elsewhere, but there are homes for every budget in chapel hill. The idea that there are only $600000+ homes in the area gets tossed around, but the reality is quite different. We go from trailer parks to million dollar estates. For sure you could get more house for your price point in durham or probably in chatham and parts of wake, but you don't have to buy a $600,000 house to live in chapel hill.
+1

Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Here is a bit more information....

I think it would depend on whether or not the services MUST be provided by a nurse or if a member of staff could be trained for the task. For example, a one-on-one assistant could be assigned to a student to empty a student's catheter several times daily.

If the service MUST be provided by a nurse, I would think that the school system would either A) have one of the school nurses VISIT the school twice daily or B) contract with a home health agency to come to the school. Unless the student had a medical need so severe that he or she needed constant supervision, I don't see a school system hiring a full-time person (nurse).

I would keep in mind that if several students needed the same or similar services as your child, it could be more cost effective to send several students to one school rather than hire several or additional nurses. You really need to meet with and talk to the EC people at the county (school system administrative) level before buying a house. Take your child's IEP with you.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-26-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I forgot to say in my earlier post that we moved down from NY as well. I only work in one school, but we have several students who in NY would have a full time or part time aid (mostly autistic/asperbergs kids) and have only the occasional special ed pull out here. Maybe they would put your child in an ID/moderate program instead of a regular classroom? The ID/Moderate and ID/Severe classrooms are spread around the district so I don't know much about those. My building has ID/Severe but those kids have very, um, severe disabilities and your child would not be anywhere near that.

Is there a local spina bifida support group you can connect with to find out what services are provided in the various school districts?

As I think you are learning on this forum, you can't assume that the services your child gets in NY will be duplicated here.
Id/mild/moderate classrooms are self-contained for kids with lower IQs (ID= intellectually delayed-formally called mentally retarded). As a parent of such a child, and a sped teacher, I would say you certainly do not want your child with children functioning below grade level. A child with only physical limitations certainly should not be in a class with children with major learning needs.
However, blood sugar tests, epi pens, feeding tubes, and toileting are all things teachers are expected to do here.
In my son's class, (Johnston CO.) teachers and teaching assistants do tube feeding during class time, the same with blood sugar tests, toileting, etc-all taking away from teaching time and things I never would have expected teachers to do (and they didnt where I am from).
If Chapel Hill Schools have full Time nurses,I'd look that way.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM

167 posts, read 304,127 times
I wish you the best of luck But you will find many of the services you have ,you will not have here in NC I worked with RC for several yr in another state .Very surprise how thing are do drifferent in state to stat. area to area ! As part time sub It is a shock to many what our teaches have to do with the number of kids they have .One reason We chose Charter and why I hope more people will look in to charter schools. I do know last summer in our day care we had a child that the Ins cover a specail nurse to be with her the complete time. and another a Health aid came and checked 2X aday. Hope you can find the place you need !

Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 PM

chocolateaffair & deleteno5, you might be interested in this article on NPR's website. Seems school nurses have suffered from cutbacks across the country, not only in Wake and Durham counties. No, The School Nurse Is Not In : NPR

Come look in Chapel Hill/Carrboro if you want a full time school nurse. I think Orange County Schools also have them. Chatham County schools have a shared nurse in the two elementaries closest to RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary