Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times

Advertisements

Even if you get someone to pass you by paying them off. You are still risking a traffic citation if you get pulled over. Just get the tint sorted out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM

50 posts, read 259,963 times
the car was registered in TX and FL before it came here so no doubt the tint limits are different there and it was legal there. The frustrating thing is that (a) it had to have passed somewhere in NC for the dealer to be able to sell it, and (b) the tint is 4% off the legal limit! It's not like I'm driving around with 5% tint. I've been stopped twice in this car and the officers never said a thing about the tint which just shows that it's not all that dark...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hda4 View Post
the car was registered in TX and FL before it came here so no doubt the tint limits are different there and it was legal there. The frustrating thing is that (a) it had to have passed somewhere in NC for the dealer to be able to sell it, and (b) the tint is 4% off the legal limit! It's not like I'm driving around with 5% tint. I've been stopped twice in this car and the officers never said a thing about the tint which just shows that it's not all that dark...
Most dealers can perform inspections. That's how it passed. You could press this with the dealership. I would.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:48 PM

234 posts, read 822,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
My subaru outback has tinted windows in the back seat and rear. They are made this way, it's not an option in Seattle. Would this car be illegal in NC?
Subaru Outback is an SUV so only the front windows would have a tint limit and be tested in NC. You could paint the back and rear window with black paint and it would be legal.

John

Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Even if you get someone to pass you by paying them off. You are still risking a traffic citation if you get pulled over. Just get the tint sorted out.
From my experience the police don't care too much around here. I have pulled up next to city, county, and state officers with no issues at all, and my windows are dark. Same for my wife's car too, and hers are a little darker than mine.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:14 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
From my experience the police don't care too much around here. I have pulled up next to city, county, and state officers with no issues at all, and my windows are dark. Same for my wife's car too, and hers are a little darker than mine.
I only mentioned it because a friend of mine got two citations for it! So, it can happen.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Most dealers can perform inspections. That's how it passed. You could press this with the dealership. I would.
OK, so does anyone know how I could find out WHERE the vehicle originally passed state inspection? Is that possible through DMV?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hda4 View Post
OK, so does anyone know how I could find out WHERE the vehicle originally passed state inspection? Is that possible through DMV?
I would ask the dealership.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Recently I saw an ad on CL for a car. Price was low. Reading the description it was from a "dealer". Stated it had just past NC state inspection. Also one caveat was that it had a power steering leak. That is an instant fail. One has to wonder. Listing is gone now, I was going to forward it to the local authorities.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM

I just checked DMV web site and sure enough Anchor Auto - where I bought the car - is an inspection station. So they no doubt passed the car despite the illegal tint so they could sell it as-is.

So, my question - what recourse do I have against them? do I ask them to remove the tint themselves and pay to re-tint it at below 32%? Doubt they'll do it... and what leverage do I really have? I guess if I tell them I'll go tell the DMV they're passing vehicles that shouldn't be passed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary