Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 6,835 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I have been in Naples, Italy for 3 years and are heading back to live in Cary in the Upchurch Farms Community. Not having dealt with any stateside cable providers in the 3 years, I am looking for some advice on what cable service would be best for our area? I have looked into Time Warner Cable and they do have a triple deal package (internet, phone, tv) and their fee is 159.99/month with 30 Mbps internet. What is their reliability and is there a better cable service provider in the area? Being new to the area, I don't want to get caught up in a bad deal (experience I learned from Dish). Thank you in advance. Look forward to coming back to the states.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 AM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing143 View Post
Hello all,

My family and I have been in Naples, Italy for 3 years and are heading back to live in Cary in the Upchurch Farms Community. Not having dealt with any stateside cable providers in the 3 years, I am looking for some advice on what cable service would be best for our area? I have looked into Time Warner Cable and they do have a triple deal package (internet, phone, tv) and their fee is 159.99/month with 30 Mbps internet. What is their reliability and is there a better cable service provider in the area? Being new to the area, I don't want to get caught up in a bad deal (experience I learned from Dish). Thank you in advance. Look forward to coming back to the states.

John
Results seem to vary with TWC. We have RR Internet @ 30/5 and Digital Tier TV and are very satisfied, but you can see people here on CD, and in Cary, who have service drops and outages more often than we do.

I also have TWC internet and phone at the office. Haven't used the phone, but I'm pretty tickled so far with the Business Class 10/1 internet.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 6,835 times
Holy crap, just did a search in the forum and I don't know if it's helped me or just made me more weary of TWC. I've read a bunch of different scenarios were maybe I'll ditch the phone service and use a cell as the primary.

Some of the posts regarding cable/internet are older so I am looking for any up to date info, say within the last 3 - 4 months.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
If you want high speed internet (over 10 mbps download speed), there's really no choice other than TWC unless you live in one of the very few areas serviced by Uverse (AT&T). Which is unfortunate. But knowing this ahead of time will save you all the frustration and time I invested into this issue in January, 2013.

So, we ended up with TWC for cable tv, landline phone and internet (15 mbps). All have been just fine, with the internet very reliable and acceptable speeds for the price. I'm not thrilled with the DVR box, but we required a landline and the bundled service offers a cost that is way cheaper than getting satellite for TV and/or phone if I am keeping our internet with TWC (which we have to - see paragraph one above).

We were thrilled with Cox Cable in Arizona. Wish we could say the same for TWC, but we cannot say they have been as awful as we feared. Once our installation was escalated to actual TWC installers (instead of the outsourced crew), everything went very smoothly and the customer service after that escalation was excellent.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
No complaints with TWC. Service, quality have been great. Prices are negotiable too if you play a hard game.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 15,142 times
I wish Uverse was in my area. I had them in MI and loved them. I really dislike Time Warner Cable. I've had frequent problems with them and no luck negotiating a better price so as of this Tuesday I'm leaving them. Not a total break because they're pretty much the only game in town for Internet. I'm going to give DirecTV a try and hopefully my experience will be a lot better.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,210 times
Pick your poison. I've had a good experience w/ Dish and only switched to them after being fed up w/ TWC. As far as the bundle go, the best quality overall is w/ TWC. Unfortunately you just have to shop around each time the bundles, or what not, expire.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:01 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
TWC is the only game in town for reasonably fast Internet. You can try your luck with DSL but it's a roll of the dice on far you are from the VDSL node and how fast it is. I still think the fastest DSL is 1/2 the speed of TWC 50/5 tier. I got the whole signature home package, it's a ton of money, like on part with gas/electric. But if you can afford it then go for it.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,841 times
We dropped the phone and cable service with TWC and now use only their standard Internet, $54 per month. Can't complaint much about the Internet service (although Netflix is sluggish sometimes and YouTube is slow), but their TV service was terrible. Constant pixelation, sudden loss of either sound or picture, incredibly slow cable box, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary