Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 PM

164 posts, read 287,473 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are any other fellow Paleo/Primals in the area, and are there any particular places you seek out when you are eating 'on the go?' Seattle restaurants are steadily starting to pick up on the lifestyle, just wondering if there are any restaurants in the Triangle area who are as well? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,742,203 times
Don't know of any that specifically are what you're looking for. Most places I'm sure you can look at a menu though and find something that works. Which places in Seattle are you referring to? I may want to check one out next time I'm there.

best,
toodie

Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 AM

164 posts, read 287,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Don't know of any that specifically are what you're looking for. Most places I'm sure you can look at a menu though and find something that works. Which places in Seattle are you referring to? I may want to check one out next time I'm there.

best,
toodie
I'm very used to making certain menu's work on the fly - even if it means a lettuce wrapped burger at the local Red Robin.

Toulouse Petite on Queen Anne Hill, Local 360 Cafe in Belltown, Crush in DT Seattle, La Isla in Ballard, Coastal Kitchen is Seattle, Skillet Diner in Capitol Hill, and Steelhead Diner are some of our currents go-to's. I can make it all work, if need be. Just wondering if the Primal/Paleo movement has reached my roots of the South just yet. (And I know, hush puppies will NOT be on the menu, much to my Nanny's dismay)

Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I know plenty of people in the Triangle who have tried or have gone paleo for a while so the "movement" concept is here but I don't know of any restaurants that specifically cater to it. To be honest, while I do believe it helps people lose weight, I wouldn't expect too many restaurants to build a menu on it since Paleo seems more like a fad diet (kind of like Atkins was) were as vegan and vegetarian is more of a lifestyle that is bound to stick around in society for a very very long time.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Old 06-23-2013, 12:48 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,701 times
^ lol!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
I eat Primal and haven't really come across restaurant food that perfectly fits the bill, but just try to order close as possible. I would be thrilled to find a restaurant that cooks everything in coconut oil!

IMO, we are basically high fat vegetarians with a side of meat lol. I stick with whole foods, and/or minimal ingredient lists. 61 pounds disappeared for me between Jan 10th and May 10th and back to my ideal weight. It is such an easy way to eat, and I am big on convenience lol.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:34 PM

42 posts, read 94,969 times
Paleo/Primal by name may be considered a fad, but the diet it's based on is not (that's like saying feeding a cat raw meat is a fad....no, that's what it's supposed to eat, I've never seen a kibble tree in the wild). It's a natural evolutionary based diet for humans that we've been eating since we first sprouted legs and started walking. It has many fundamental differences from Atkins and things like that (there are no calorie/macro restrictions, etc unless they are self imposed), it isn't a weight loss diet and shouldn't be approached as such.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
It think the assumption that all humans ate the same diet in the Paleozoic era is somewhat flawed. Diets likely varied widely based on what region of the world you are talking about and even more so by the different climates. Even narrowing it down to a specific region, it is tough to replicate a historical diet since most of the meats fruits and veggies available to us today are so very different than their raw original form people were eating back then. That being said, such a diet is still a hell of a lot better than the terrible diets others follow in the modern day. I just wouldn't expect too many restaurants to build a menu around it any time soon.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,414 times
In the last 8 weeks or so, I've started eating foods that lean more toward Paleo/Primal but am far from all up in the "fad" part of it. If I want a slice of cake or a damn baked potato I'll eat it. Anyway, I've lost nearly 30 pounds by just being more mindful of what I'm shoving in my mouth and am now a bit underweight. During my very recent, in depth physical everything came back fantastic sooooo...

My point; Unless one is a flipping zealot, has health problems pertaining to certain foods, or eats weird...errrr....unusually, because of some kind of religious or spiritual stuff, one can easily find restaurants in the area to eat out and still stay close to Paleo/Primal. My real point is, if you're choosing to eat this way to take off weight, trust me, you'll take off weight even if you do *cheat* every now and again. Shoot, I still drink soda fairly regularly.

Mmmm hmmm. True stuff right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary