Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,583 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting my sister, actually helping them move into new home in WakeForest from Cary. I would like to take my dad to the best BBQ place in area.

Also, I would like to know any nice lounges, enjoy chill house music, in the area for some nightlife. Anyone been to Riviera ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
I don't know about any BBQ joints in Wake Forest. However, since you asked about best places in the area, I'd have to recommend Allen and Sons. It's on Highway 86, between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough, about a mile north of I-40.

Barbecue Bible

Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM

33 posts, read 235,159 times
My husband and I recently bought a house in WF (lived in Raleigh/Cary area before). I don't know about BBQ here yet, but we really like a little place called Shuckers. It's a casual seafood joint, if you like that, on Capital just south of the US1/1A (Main St) split. It looks like a little shack from the road, but we always enjoy the food there and the service has been great every time. The atmosphere is neat - almost makes you feel like you're at the beach. The building has "two sides." One side is the restaurant, and the other is more of bar area where they have live music on the weekends. Music varies (folk, classic rock, country - all kinds, depending on who's playing), but overall it's pretty laid back, relaxing, and fun. We brought my parents there when they came to visit, and they loved it. The place was very busy when we got there, so we put our names on the list and went to the other side and enjoyed a cocktail and some music while waiting for a table, which made the wait seem like nothing.

There are lots of restaurants near Triangle Town Center, which is a short drive from WF as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM

351 posts, read 770,451 times
Default Holden's

Try Holden's in Youngsville -- about 10 min. from Wake Forest. It's not much to look at -- but the BBQ is about the best in the area.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
There is also a Smithfield's chicken and BBQ in Wake Forest, off Wake Union Church Road. Pretty good for a chain.

Vicki

Old 11-07-2007, 04:14 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I would second holden's it is quite good southern barbeque and the fixins to go with it!

Leigh

Old 11-07-2007, 04:26 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Default What type of Bar-B-Que?

North Carolina Bar-B-Que can be separated into two types. Eastern Bar-B-Que which is made using a vinegar based sauce, and Western Bar-B-Que which uses a tomato based sauce. Raleigh sits almost square on the dividing line which separates the two opposing camps of flavor.

If your Dad is from the north, he would probably be surprised by the Eastern style. I am a yankee and have eaten at Smithfields which is Eastern style. I very much enjoyed it, but it is clearly different from what I called Bar-B-Que in the North. I have also eaten at Red, White, and Blues - a Bar-B-Que chain which specializes in Blues Music and western style "Que".

Old 07-15-2012, 03:49 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Your only options are Holden's & Smithfield's(chain) and they are just average.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:14 PM

61 posts, read 147,260 times
Fire pit is my preference. Big Al's is pretty good, too. Smithfields, as said, is not bad for a chain. I'm not sure why no one has mentioned these options already. Certainly no need to go to youngsville unless you just want to.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
Anybody else notice this thread is from 2007?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary