Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times

Advertisements

We've typically hired a cleaning service to clean a house we are vacating. It's a couple hundred bucks to do a thorough top-to-bottom cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,232 times
Thanks again, this forum is a wealth of information. Rather than stir anything up I figured I'd check to make sure- much easier than putting one's foot in said mouth!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
We've typically hired a cleaning service to clean a house we are vacating. It's a couple hundred bucks to do a thorough top-to-bottom cleaning.
We've always asked this for this in our contract when buying and we've always suggested it in our contract when selling. I think it's a good idea for everyone involved and just doesn't really cost very much!

Last edited by lamishra; 06-27-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,956 times
The house we bought and moved in to was definitely only broom cleaned. It took me 2 hours to scrub the fridge and freezer out. But any time I have been on a lease, a more thorough cleaning was required upon move out. Since it wasn't stated in the lease, I think you just have to accept broom cleaning.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
We've always asked this for this in our contract when buying and we've always suggested it in our contract when selling. I think it's a good and just doesn't really cost very much!
Yup, and when moving out, I really don't want to have to deal with cleaning.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:36 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Cleaning the carpets would be a wasted exercise at this point, since the moving-in process is bound to create a few spots or streaks. Recently cleaned carpet seems to be a magnet for dirt IMHO. Something about disturbing the fibers and leaving a trace of cleaner in the threads.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Our RE contract for buying now states that the home should be in the same condition as when buyer last saw it or something similar to that. I don't think it says "broom clean" anymore, although it used to.

What I find is that people's version of clean is DIFFERENT! I've had sellers take pictures down and leave the hooks in the walls. I've had sellers take pictures down and putty the holes and re paint.

I don't expect a seller to clean the carpets unless it has been asked for in the contract. I do expect them to vacuum. I don't expect a seller to clean out the drawers but I do expect them to empty them.

Most buyers want to get into the house and clean it a bit, for themselves. Makes it feel more like home!

Vicki

Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
The house we bought and moved in to was definitely only broom cleaned. It took me 2 hours to scrub the fridge and freezer out. But any time I have been on a lease, a more thorough cleaning was required upon move out. Since it wasn't stated in the lease, I think you just have to accept broom cleaning.
My many leases usually said "in the same condition as when leased - normal wear and tear excepted".

Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernInSeattle View Post
We closed on the 19th, have a rent back option until July 1st. I fully plan on cleaning out fridges, steam mopping all hardwoods, and vacuuming the carpet upstairs. I couldn't leave a mess behind either, it's just the thing to do in my book - contract or not.

My friend purchased her new house about two weeks ago, and the owner left the house a MESS.. $650k house with a forgotten load of dirty dishes, a drawer full of underwear(!) left behind in the closet built-ins, you name it. Ack.
GROSS!

We recently went under contract on our home, scheduled to close on July 19th. We were told we needed to have our place cleaned - including range/oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, floors, carpets etc but would have done this anyway.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
I do house cleaning and have on occasion handled such cases. I clean way more houses pre move in then prior to moving out. Many times the rental property managers will hire a cleaning service after property vacated in order to put back on market. I have yet to work under contract for a private person selling the home in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary