Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 AM

226 posts, read 610,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
the "base" KB home is borderline unlivable IMO.
KB's business model is a smart one-hook you with a low price per square foot on the basic plan, and then invite you to the design center where their best salespeople work. It's only there that you find out everything that you DON'T get that most people consider essential or very desirable. KB's website states (in very small print) that you should expect to pay and additional 10 to 15 percent over and above your plan's base price for typical upgrades.
"Mr. Customer, doesn't your wife deserve these granite countertops for only an additional $14.62 per month???" Forget about granite-how about enough phone and cable outlets to make the house livable.
If the KB business model is to offer a lower base price and then charge for extra cable outlets or granite, how is that bad or unlivable? Since you start with a lower base price to begin with and then pay to add these things, aren't you going to be at the same price (relatively) as the builder that includes them standard? I'd rather have the choice about what I'm putting in my home. I'm not saying the KB business model is perfect or that they don't over charge you for options but at least they're offering a choice to people that maybe couldn't afford that custom house with all the upgrades included. Also, I'm sure like every other builder, they give you a standard feature sheet so you can see what the house comes with. I can't believe you have to go to their design center to find that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 AM

88 posts, read 401,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
I can't believe you have to go to their design center to find that out.
You don't. We asked for it first thing and got a 60 page print out of every price for every option. And I mean every option. And the thing about Twin Lakes is it offers more choices than any other KB community in the triangle, except maybe for Wynbrooke, the other Martha Stewart community. Now that said, we had an incredible sales agent who truly was a customer advocate.

The base home is hardly unlivable. Not drastically different than any other tract builder. We made upgrades, sure. But with standard hardwoods, two-tone eggshell paint, smooth ceilings, solid oak cabinetry, standard stamped concrete driveways/walkways, gridded windows... among many others... there really wasn't much we needed to change. It depends on each family's style and preferences. It's a great place for so many families. And according to our private inspector, the building quality is great with no major concerns or flaws at all. Most people who bash other builders have not actually gone through the entire building process with that builder.

I recognize I may be a bit more sensitive because we are building there, but it's an incredible neighborhood. I really struggle to understand why people feel the need to cut other neighborhoods down because it's not where they live.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:24 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
If the KB business model is to offer a lower base price and then charge for extra cable outlets or granite, how is that bad or unlivable? Since you start with a lower base price to begin with and then pay to add these things, aren't you going to be at the same price (relatively) as the builder that includes them standard?
In some cases the price isn't lower, its the same per sqft. with less standard options. In other cases some builders (not just KB) do have a "lower" price but with less standards that soon become over-priced options.

In the end you still end up with a final price and you can make a decision to buy or not, but often that price is way off from what buyers expected when they first walked on the lot. True that a lot of builders practice this, but to varying degrees. It's doesn't make the home unlivable (I'm sure that's just the poster's way of conveying his point), but it isn't being up front either!
Why don't builders advertise the option sheet with prices on their websites?? Those in the industry would have you believe it's because the prospective buyers need to have an agent there helping to understand it all. I don't buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbabies View Post
You don't. We asked for it first thing and got a 60 page print out of every price for every option. And I mean every option. And the thing about Twin Lakes is it offers more choices than any other KB community in the triangle, except maybe for Wynbrooke, the other Martha Stewart community. Now that said, we had an incredible sales agent who truly was a customer advocate.

The base home is hardly unlivable. Not drastically different than any other tract builder. We made upgrades, sure. But with standard hardwoods, two-tone eggshell paint, smooth ceilings, solid oak cabinetry, standard stamped concrete driveways/walkways, gridded windows... among many others... there really wasn't much we needed to change. It depends on each family's style and preferences. It's a great place for so many families. And according to our private inspector, the building quality is great with no major concerns or flaws at all. Most people who bash other builders have not actually gone through the entire building process with that builder.

I recognize I may be a bit more sensitive because we are building there, but it's an incredible neighborhood. I really struggle to understand why people feel the need to cut other neighborhoods down because it's not where they live.
People have different experiences with builders; good and bad. You're going to be biased because you chose to build there and others will be biased because they chose not to build there. I love the idea of the neighborhood and was ready to be one of the first on board 2 years ago. I knew what to expect from KB as far as final price, so my only issue was airplane noise and the commute time for my wife. All that said, the commute situation has changed for the better, if prices keep getting lower I might have to revisit and rethink the noise problem.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 10,673 times
I heard in the beginning KB was very pushy on getting certain upgrades...but with the current market they are more than encouraging in avoiding upgrades.
Its like "well u dont really need hardwoods everywhere ? they are standard in the kitchen, foyer etc...u get my drift. Adjusting to the slow market by taking of pricy upgrades which some people might deem unnecessary. I personally would not mind getting a 3000+ sq ft in that location for low 300's. Heck if the market improves then i can sink in more money getting granite/all hardwood etc and still come out way ahead of people who put in $400,000+ with all the upgrades.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 14,340 times
Have you closed yet?

Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 PM

93 posts, read 292,274 times
Default Twin Lakes

Once you sign the cntract it is very little that you can do but there is always a chance and see what you can get. they are still building and want to hold there reputation. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary