Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:06 AM

181 posts, read 387,640 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So I've noticed that my cell phone bill has steadily crept up (as with most other things ) over the past couple years in spite of not adding any new services/options. I know that if/when I get a new phone with AT&T I would have to get an updated data package of some sort that would add even more to my monthly bill.

I'm at the end of my two year contract and was wondering if anyone had firsthand experience with pre paid services like Net 10 or Straighttalk in this area? I was told by a salesperson that they use the same towers as verizon and At&T, so I would think that coverage would be OK but have found that it's best to ask someone that actually has used the service in or around the Raleigh area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,151,092 times
Hands down, I think the best deal out there is Virgin Mobil. We grandfathered in at $25/mo, now it's $40, but for that you get 300 minutes (or maybe 150, but who talks anymore anyway?) and unlimited data, text, and everything else. Get a smartphone (fairly cheap, <$150) and you'll have a great service. If you need more talking minutes, they have options.

It runs on the SPRINT network, but does not roam the same as a true Sprint customer would (same with all the pre-paids, I think).

So far, she's had it for almost a year, and it's great. And having a smartphone is very handy when travelling as well. GPS, restaurants, yelp, etc... Absolutely no problems with coverage.

Look into it.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM

862 posts, read 3,551,038 times
I don't know if you have resellers for my company in Raleigh, but I am using Page Plus. On the strength of a recommendation from a close friend and her husband that uses his phone for business and travel as far as Boston, I decided to give it a shot. I've had my phone for almost two months and so far so good.

I went to a local reseller shop to check out the plans and phones. The website has phones, but the store selection is way better than the website.

They use Verizon's towers and the pricing plans are wonderful for what I need. Most of the bigger companies have plans that just don't fit my needs. I have the 29.99 plan that includes 1000 minutes of talk and text. I had to shell out a nice chunk of change for my phone, but I was fine with that.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 AM

862 posts, read 3,551,038 times
Oh, as for smart phones, I'm not sure if those are included with Page Plus. I'd probably call a store to check. I know for a fact that my friend and her husband have them and they bought them off craigslist. They got them hooked up with their Page Plus accounts.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Thanks mia and bmateo,
I'll look into both of these.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,398,698 times
I have Track phone and it cost $19.95 for 90 days service with 240 minutes. I don't use the phone much so I am up to 600 unused minutes right now. The phone and reception is just as good as the major carriers.
I don't text or use the phone for anything but occasional calls or emergencies so paying for a deluxe service is a waste of money for me.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,175,291 times
We have Virgin for over 6 years.

Great for low volume use but larger Virgin plans are now available for way less than AT&T.

No contracts. You own the phone.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 AM

569 posts, read 1,979,042 times
You really need to tell about your cell phone use to get a good recommendation. There is no one best company. Some are best for text and data and some are good for basic voice service. Some are best for low usage and some are best for high.

I use mine mostly for voice with relatively low usage and just occasional text or internet. I use Tracfone and it costs me $7 per month for each phone. Tracfone uses either Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile towers depending on which phone you buy. My Tracfone is on AT&T and my wifes on Verizon. Around town can't tell much difference, but Verizon definately has better coverage in rural areas.

PS Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk are all the same company just with different plans oriented to different types of usage. They contract with Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile to use their towers and the one they use depends upon the phone you buy.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Thanks Jeffs,

Currently I use the cell mainly for voice (approx. 300 min/month) with occasional web use. I don't use my phone as a primary webpage source but can see where it could be useful for things like directions, yelp, etc...

You have all pretty much confirmed what I suspected; there are better options than the "name" brands offer based on my needs.

Thanks again

Old 05-15-2012, 12:58 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,729 times
I ran into the same trouble with AT&T. They took away my unlimited data and mMy bill was just too high. I went through Best Buy to get a prepaid phone. I had to try a couple of different carriers because they didn't work in my house. Virgin, nor Sprint worked. I finally went with Verizon and love it. I pay $50 for unlimited talk, text, and messaging. I didn't have a problem returning the phone if it didn't work where it needed too. I went from an iPhone to what I have now, which isn't a smart phone. It was hard to adjust at first, but I love knowing what my bill is every month. I would recommend Best Buy for anyone who doesn't know if the phone will work where they need it. They made it really easy for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary