Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,273 times

Advertisements

I've noticed several large quarries around here. For example, there's one off Capital Blvd. by Burlington Mills Rd. What happens to these big holes in the ground afterwards? Do they get turned into lakes? Or do they just stay as big holes in the ground? Are any of the lakes around here former quarries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 04:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
there is a quarrie in rolesville (right rieboots!!!) and it has water, and they teach scuba diving classes there, from what we heard.

I know in chapel hill there was also a quarrie that we used to always swim in.

Leigh

Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,846 times
Back in NE we used climb at the old granite rail quarry in quincy. Do any of the old quarries around here have any elevation associated with them?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM

29 posts, read 119,109 times
Default Quarries are utilized for many things

There are two huge ones down Duraleigh road. Not many people notice them. They are almost finished with them. They will be used as reservoirs for the City of Raleigh in the future.

The quarry on Quarry Rd in Rolesville that an earlier poster noted is not being used. It sits there. The walls make the quarry very dangerous. The static water level is much too deep to make it safe to open to the public. David Nevell I believe is a scuba diver teacher that lives across the road from the Quarry. He gives lessons, but I believe he told me many moons ago that the Quarry has been closed due to the gigantic fish, kidding. Actually due to the freezing water.

There is a Quarry in Carrboro that will be used as a reservoir for OWASA.

Alot of quarries are made into parks.

If you have never been down inside a Quarry, you definitely need to go on a tour.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Old Quarries never fade away. They just rock on.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
We used to live in Oak Park right by the quarries on Duraleigh Road. I never really gave them much thought and was gone to work all day while they were actually mining.

So then after having my second child, I became a stay at home mom and the first day I styed home I was jolted from my bed at 9 in the morning by what I just KNEW was an EARTHQUAKE! I happened several times in a row, I could feel the tremors and my house shook. I ran outside thinking all the other neighbors had surely felt this rare Raleigh NC "earthquake" and expected WRAL news would pulling up any second to interview us unsuspecting survivors....little did I know that it was the dumb rock quarry blasting!
We lived there for 5 years and basically had daily "earthquakes"!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,832 times
Best use of a quarry I have ever seen!

Black Diamond Ranch Golf Community (http://www.blackdiamondranch.com/quarry.php - broken link)

Golf Courses Photo Gallery (http://www.blackdiamondranch.com/photogallery/photogallerycourses.html - broken link)

Old 11-10-2007, 12:36 AM

171 posts, read 879,755 times
Default Wow!

ch123
Okay that is just stunning and beautiful!! All they built over our Quarry was a huge WalMart and shopping center! Ha, go figure!!
Kali

Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,847 times
When I was in high school we used to go to an old quarry to swim. It was known as "sugar lake" and was located past Jordan lake off of hwy 64. It was closed some years back due to several people drowning there.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
There was a huge article in the paper today about a young college student who drown in a quarry lake around the Eno. Very sad .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary