Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM

804 posts, read 2,005,120 times

Advertisements

Howdy, All:

My mother-in-law will be in town this weekend. While we have a party to attend Saturday evening, I'd like to have a few other things in the hopper so that we aren't hanging out staring at each other in our living room this weekend. We will probably take her somewhere local for dinner Friday night, would probably enjoy something outside / historical on Saturday for the day, and then perhaps have something for Sunday afternoon before we take her to dinner and the airport Sunday evening.

Has anybody ever done the Yates Mill tour on Saturday afternoons? That looked somewhat interesting and would mean that we get outside to walk around a bit (plus my poor husband wouldn't be subjected to his wife & mother-in-law smothering him with historical houses which drives him crazy sometimes). I wish we could do the Triangle Walking Food Tour but its booked for Saturday.

Things we all tend to like:

- walking tours
- historical
- foodie things
- minimal driving distance since we will have to be home in time to get ready for an evening party on Saturday night
- museums (although we've taken her to most of them in the area several times over ... especially the science-minded ones since DH is a science nerd -- those include Museum of Natural Science and Museum of Life & Science in Durham)

Thoughts from the peanut gallery are welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,148 times
I have not tried either of these, but if you end up trying them please post back on your experience:

Triangle Food Tour

Tobacco Road Tours

Hope this helps!
Matt
SW Durham Guy

Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info. The Raleigh Food Tour is full. I don't see much on the Tobacco Road Tours that interest us but will keep it in mind. I should amend the title to read "Triangle Happenings" since we're good with going somewhere around here but can't go too far.

(I'd initially thought about going to Edenton for the weekend or at least a couple of days because we've never been but since we have this party Saturday night that's out.)

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 AM

826 posts, read 1,933,439 times
Triangle Food Tours isn't the only walking food tour in town (although I have heard good things about it). There is also Taste Carolina: Tours Main

There is also the Historic Raleigh Trolley Tour - you can get on and off at the different stops and walk around different parts of Raleigh:
Historic Raleigh Trolley - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

It's Engineering Day at the Museum of Life & Sciences in Durham so DH might like that:
Engineers Day | Museum of Life and Science | Durham, NC

Here's another walking tour of Raleigh: Velocity - Raleigh Tours

Downtown Hillsborough has a Family Fun Day that includes walking tours otherwise there is an official historic walking tour:
Family Fun Day | Historic Hillsborough, North Carolina

Most of this stuff is from the IndyWeek Calendar under "Arts" and "Sat Aug 10". I only scanned the first page and a half. You might find something else you like!

Indy Week | Events

Last edited by mskb; 08-06-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks - I hadn't even thought to check the Indy. I used to check that often but I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things after returning from vacation last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary