Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
My wife and I enjoy a day at the beach without kids. We head down in the morning and have a quick lunch before we hit the beach. We bring our chairs and umbrella, books and iPods, and enjoy the afternoon on the beach. We usually head to the area near the pier at Kure Beach so there are restrooms nearby. At the end of the afternoon we have dinner in one of the local restaurants and then head home. Makes for a wonderful day.
I have done the Kure Beach-Fort Fisher day beach trip many many times...great memories, good times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
The Wilmington area is close enough for day trips. 2.5 hours to get there roughly.

I remember that getting to the Outer Banks used to be a long drive when I was young, but thanks to highway improvements along that stretch it's 3.5 ish hours now to get to say, Nag's Head. Just a bit much driving for a day trip but still close enough for weekend overnights. Atlantic Beach is about 3 hours. These are Chapel Hill times. From Raleigh you lose twenty minutes on the times.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:28 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
My wife and I enjoy a day at the beach without kids. We head down in the morning and have a quick lunch before we hit the beach. We bring our chairs and umbrella, books and iPods, and enjoy the afternoon on the beach. We usually head to the area near the pier at Kure Beach so there are restrooms nearby. At the end of the afternoon we have dinner in one of the local restaurants and then head home. Makes for a wonderful day.
Yup...Kure Beach for us too! Except I have to bring my 6 and 2 year old along. We've been going down almost every other weekend for the last two years...somehow the stars align and I almost always manage to find at least one spot in the first lot passed the pier. Only once did I have to go one more lot down, which was not a problem.

We'll arrive by 11...beach till 2...grab an early dinner (just discovered Fish Bites off Carolina Beach Rd) then home by 8, the latest.

With any luck though, we'll be out towards the coast permanently...sooner rather than later.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times
So for a beach lover like me, you're saying this is NOT NOVA where the traffic can be extremely stressful and that the beach is much more accessible (meaning you can have it for a day trip)?
2.5 IS 2.5 hours?

Which beach do you recommend for ease of access and time from CH?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
You all are making me anxious to take my kids on a surprise daytrip to the beach! Growing up in PA, we used to go to the beach all the time for the day (under 1 1/2 hours away), but since I've lived in DC, we NEVER went for the day. It was nearly impossible there because the traffic pushed the travel time to 3 1/2 to 4 hours. 2 1/2 hours is totally doable! Maybe next weekend. :-)

Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So for a beach lover like me, you're saying this is NOT NOVA where the traffic can be extremely stressful and that the beach is much more accessible (meaning you can have it for a day trip)?
2.5 IS 2.5 hours?

Which beach do you recommend for ease of access and time from CH?
Correct. THIS IS NOT NOVA! We went to Wrightsville last summer and the summer before that (not for the day, though). I remember thinking how short the trip seemed. Last year we did not go on the weekend, although I think we did the first time we went. I don't recall any traffic. You will be very pleasantly surprised by the lack of traffic around here. You do not have to plan your life around rush hour traffic, weekend beach traffic, getaway Friday traffic, mid-day traffic, or Saturday traffic. It's a nice change of pace.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Correct. THIS IS NOT NOVA! We went to Wrightsville last summer and the summer before that (not for the day, though). I remember thinking how short the trip seemed. Last year we did not go on the weekend, although I think we did the first time we went. I don't recall any traffic. You will be very pleasantly surprised by the lack of traffic around here. You do not have to plan your life around rush hour traffic, weekend beach traffic, getaway Friday traffic, mid-day traffic, or Saturday traffic. It's a nice change of pace.
So instead of hitting the beach 1-2 times a year, I can and people in this area DO go casually whenever?!

Which beaches are best?
Also, are there beach/surf clubs in triangle that do trips? As an outsider this would be great so I meet people and don't go solo.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Just be aware that a major highway reconstruction project will soon be starting on I-40/I-440 south of Raleigh that could really snarl attempts to get to southest NC beaches from the Triangle. When that starts, all bets are off in terms of travel times.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
You can get to Wrightsville Beach in 3 hrs from Chapel Hill w/o going through Raleigh. I'm not too worried about Crawleigh, personally.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You can get to Wrightsville Beach in 3 hrs from Chapel Hill w/o going through Raleigh. I'm not too worried about Crawleigh, personally.
True. What's unknown is what impact Crawleigh is going to have on alternate routes. Hopefully it won't be much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary