Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

It's probably the same at any sleep clinic but I was wondering if anybody here has been through the overnight sleep clinic at UNC. I hope it gives me some answers and relief for what seems like a life long problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM

59 posts, read 138,669 times
I wasn't at the UNC facility, but like you said, it's probably close to the same experience.

Checked in at night. Watched a little TV in my room, changed into sleep clothes. Went to another room where the tech wires you up (glues them to your head!) and explains what they may look for, etc, asks if you have questions. I was taken back to my room (Duke's facility is a hotel) and given a little while to wind down, get comfortable. They explain where the camera was and if I needed anything to just say so, since they could hear me. They will need to come 'unplug' you if you need to get up during the night.
Set my alarm for the next morning, and was allowed to shower and get ready for work before checking out.

It was really stress free.
Hope they can solve your sleep issues for you!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM

554 posts, read 1,155,191 times
I had high hopes for my sleep study and was bitterly disappointed. I have had lifelong insomnia, just like my mother. It started interfering with my life while I was in college and really hasn't let up since. When I finally agreed to a sleep study, I was under the impression that there would be options and help available after the results were known. In fact, since the study ruled out sleep apnea there wasn't much (aside from medication) that was offered. The sleep doctor only seemed concerned about getting me to consent to yet another sleep study (to see if this time I would fit the parameters for apnea) for more $$ and then getting even more $$ from me when diagnosed with apnea and then "needed" a CPAP machine. I declined and there wasn't anything else offered. Just meds. Very frustrating.

The actual study was a hassle. It takes a loooong time to get hooked up to all the wires. I was so tired by the time I was finally allowed to go to bed. I was annoyed by the lights in the hallway and the constant opening of the door to readjust the sensors on my face. There was also a tube positioned right in my nostrils to monitor oxygen flow in my breath. I did not sleep well at all and the results were pretty useless to me, with the exception of knowing for sure that I do NOT have sleep apnea.

Nothing has changed for me based on this study. I sincerely hope you have a better experience than I did.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Voltige, where did you have your study performed?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Voltige, where did you have your study performed?
Parkway SleepHealth Center on Cary Parkway.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Parkway SleepHealth Center on Cary Parkway.
I've limited experience with sleep centers, but what you describe doesn't sound like a quality sleep study. It sounds like a sales pitch for CPAP equipment. A quick google search shows a couple of complaints and no positive reviews.

Perhaps you might consider repeating the experience at a quality center - like the one affiliated with Duke?

And, as a fellow lifetime bad sleeper, taking meds is not always a bad thing. I'm delighted to have a bottle of generic ambien around. For the vast majority of people, It's not the drug that's potentially dangerous. It's the user potentially abusing the drug.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM

448 posts, read 851,988 times
I am currently waiting for my doctor to set up a time and place for my sleep study. I am glad that you posted the question and the people who have replied. I will take a good luck at the clinic that the doctor refers me to.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've limited experience with sleep centers, but what you describe doesn't sound like a quality sleep study. It sounds like a sales pitch for CPAP equipment. A quick google search shows a couple of complaints and no positive reviews.

Perhaps you might consider repeating the experience at a quality center - like the one affiliated with Duke?

And, as a fellow lifetime bad sleeper, taking meds is not always a bad thing. I'm delighted to have a bottle of generic ambien around. For the vast majority of people, It's not the drug that's potentially dangerous. It's the user potentially abusing the drug.

Good luck!
Yea, I figured that out about halfway through the bad night and it was confirmed with the follow-up with the doctor. I told him how I felt and told him I wasn't coming back and why

I'm not sure I want to bother with a second sleep study though. I know I don't sleep well, and I've learned how to manage it for the most part. I'm glad to know that some people at least have a decent experience. This place was simply HORRIBLE.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM

328 posts, read 767,491 times
I have a hard time getting to sleep at night and staying asleep. Damn "Type A" personality! Increasing my exercise has helped some and I know I should get rid of caffeine entirely, but I'm not there yet.

I would imagine that you could expect not sleeping at a sleep study. I don't think I could, knowing that people will be watching and listening. Oh to be a fly on that wall! I slept at a motel last week, and it was a super budget motel alright, and I got maybe 4 hours at most all night. If I am not in my bed, I simply cannot get quality rest! I hope you find a resolution to your sleep issues. My mom has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP. She sounds like Darth Vader with it, and like a buzzing chainsaw without it!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
These articles might be of interest to those who wake up in the middle of the night:

BBC News - The myth of the eight-hour sleep

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/op...anted=all&_r=0

I don't have that issue, but I absolutely can't nap unless I have stayed up all night or something like that. I constantly startle awake and it's rather wretched instead of refreshing. I don't imagine I would sleep very well in a sleep study environment, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary