Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,474 times

Advertisements

I've dabbled in the CSA "thing" in the past, but I'd like to get into it more seriously in 2013. So, I'd be interested in hearing people's recent experiences, opinions, and recommendations about local CSA services and related organizations. I've heard a lot of different things from people I've discussed this with in-person and online, but I'd love some additional input. I'm certainly not a gourmet and not even necessarily all that much of a foodie, so I don't need huge quantities of food or extraordinarily deep or esoteric selection and variety. For my purposes, my top priorities in choosing a CSA would be environmental responsibility and value for the money, as well as convenience and customer service. But I'd be interested in hearing about whatever pros and cons that anyone has experience with. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
CSA?
When I hear CSA in the context of City-Data I think of Consolidated Statistical Area (as in The Triangle). Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am guessing that this is not what you mean.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
CSA?
When I hear CSA in the context of City-Data I think of Consolidated Statistical Area (as in The Triangle). Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am guessing that this is not what you mean.
It's funny, after I typed that acronym a few times both in the title of this thread and in the initial post, I had a fleeting thought wondering if anyone would mistakenly think I meant it to stand for "Confederate States of America," as "CSA" sometimes does. Clearly that's not what I meant. I hadn't thought of "Combined Statistical Area," but you're right that that is another term commonly abbreviated as "CSA," and actually a much more plausible possibility than the Confederacy thing. But that's not it either. No, by "CSA" I do, of course, mean "Community-Supported Agriculture":
Community-supported agriculture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, though!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
TheProduceBox -- is that what you mean? Locally grown produce delivered to your front door -- in season. We love it.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
TheProduceBox -- is that what you mean? Locally grown produce delivered to your front door -- in season. We love it.
Yeah, The Produce Box qualifies as the kind of thing I'm talking about. I'm glad to hear that you love it. Have you had any problems or complaints? I was talking to somebody back in the fall who had used The Produce Box for a while and had some sort of billing problems with them, but I don't remember exactly what. I think they also said that they didn't always feel like they were getting their money's worth on every delivery, but I suppose that's inevitably going to happen now and then with that sort of thing, since the produce is going to tend to vary a little from shipment to shipment. But I'm glad to hear that you've had a good experience with them, lovebrentwood, and The Produce Box is definitely on my list.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 AM

286 posts, read 685,569 times
I've used The Produce Box for the last 2 years and loved it. Last year they started making it where you could change out one thing in the box. You don't get to pick what you get instead but when I switched things out, I always ended up with something I was happy with. Billing went smoothly for me both years. Delivery was always right on time and our drop off person was great. I just wish that I was able to be home when it is delivered. I have a constant fight with ants when I have to leave a cooler out for hours with my produce sitting in it.
Oh, and the add ons you can get at The Produce Box are just amazing. I've been introduced to all kinds of locally made cheeses, breads, herb blends, etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 AM

387 posts, read 638,403 times
The Produce Box is not really a CSA, though. It's a produce consolidator. Produce Box buys from multiple farms and aggregates the produce from those facilities. It's a nice model, but not a CSA. CSA purchases support the farms, not the middle man. You are buying directly from the grower, can get to know the grower, and oftentimes can visit their farms. There's one that I know of for sure, Hilltop Farms, where they have an end-of-season party at the farm for members (Farmer Fred, as the farmer calls himself, is a drummer in a local band, and they'll often play as the sun goes down). Hilltop is also, as far as I know, the only CSA in Wake County to be certified organic, rather than all the farms that claim they're organic but are actually violating federal law because they are not certified. Hilltop's farm is in Willow Springs.

Another great CSA is Double T Farms. They're located on the eastern side of the triangle, and are a small family farm. Nice variety of produce, and they do both a summer and a winter CSA.

Wild Onion Farms has a nice CSA. The farm located in the Garner/Clayton area. Tom, the farmer, grows the most amazing variety of produce. This one is a bit unique, Elizabeth is a solo female farmer. She does an amazing job, her produce is generally some of the most beautiful I see at the farmer's markets she attends. Elizabeth is not certified organic, but she does use organic practices. I asked her about getting certified, and she said that between spending time filling out required paperwork, and spending time on her crops, she chose the crops.

All three deliver to spots in Wake County. All three also have websites (I think Hilltop's is through Local Harvest) if you'd like to check them out. Also, all three are direct, farmer CSA's. No paying a middle man, no "supplementing" boxes with produce purchased from elsewhere (there are some consolidators that do this! Completely against the philosophy of a CSA!). One other thought...there are so many great weekend farmer's markets. I go to a couple different ones, mostly North Hills/Midtown Farmer's Market, Western Wake Farmer's Market, and the Downtown Farmer's Market on Wednesday. That way I can spread the wealth and support many different farms/bakers/cheesemakers! We are so lucky here in the Triangle to have so many wonderful farmer's markets, with such a wide variety of items to choose from. I think in many ways, it's better than a CSA because that way, you can support may different businesses.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
I've been using "also not a CSA" Papa Spuds for the past few years. I like that you can choose everything that goes into your box based on a point system, and also that you can place deliveries on hold and not be charged for a particular week. They do supplement with out of area produce during winter months, and also with things you can't get around here (i.e. oranges). I've been happy with the quality and value. I've considered joining a 'real' CSA as well, but haven't looked into it lately.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,060 times
I'm a fan of the 'not quite a CSA" Smith's Nursery Doorstep Market - you're under no obligation to get a box a particular week, there's no points system or anything like that - you choose what you want in each box and there's a wide variety of things including produce, dairy, breads, jams/jellies, and meat from local farms, dairies, bakers, and vendors.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Are any of these services priced reasonably - as in similar to what I would pay in a normal grocery store? Not Whole Foods, and I don't care about organic. I love getting good quality, fresh produce, but the prices out here are killing me (our produce costs were considerably less in Phoenix AZ since we could shop at places like Sprouts, Sunflower Market and huge Asian and Hispanic grocery stores>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary