Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times

Advertisements

I am going to Emerald Isle this weekend and want to find a great place for dinner. I would prefer to stay between Swansboro and Morehead City. Must have fresh seafood,abc permits and prefer water front dining.Where are the places my fellow triangle foodies eat when traveling on the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Good q. There is nowhere...I repeat, nowhere, in EI proper that has anything above barely edible food. Curious to hear MH/SW recos.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
We enjoyed Amos Mosquitos just up the road in Atlantic Beach. It's got a very kitschy theme, but they had some awesome fresh catch dishes. They do have seating that looks out over the sound. It's not white table cloth fine dining. It's family friendly, but nice (and kitschy). http://www.amosmosquitos.com

In Morehead City Sanitary Fish Market is a classic NC tradition, but not fine dining. http://www.sanitaryfishmarket.com

Lots of interesting restaurants in Beaufort, many on the water.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 AM

232 posts, read 553,369 times
We had a fantastic dinner at Sammy's Seafood House & Oyster Bar in Morehead City. We have dietary restrictions and Sammy came to our table to discuss what we could have and how he could modify other menu items. The seafood was fresh and delicious, and the service was excellent. We were told they were opening another restaurant across the street but I can't remember the name of it. The only drawback is it is not waterfront, though they do have some outdoor dining. Sammys Seafood House and Oyster Bar | Morehead City Restaurant

Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM

233 posts, read 860,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We enjoyed Amos Mosquitos just up the road in Atlantic Beach. It's got a very kitschy theme, but they had some awesome fresh catch dishes. They do have seating that looks out over the sound. It's not white table cloth fine dining. It's family friendly, but nice (and kitschy). Home - Amos Mosquito's Restaurant | Atlantic Beach, NC

In Morehead City Sanitary Fish Market is a classic NC tradition, but not fine dining. Sanitary Restaurant and Fish Market

Lots of interesting restaurants in Beaufort, many on the water.
Its expensive for what you get, and not near as good as it used to be before they moved into the current location.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 AM

233 posts, read 860,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAVacation View Post
We had a fantastic dinner at Sammy's Seafood House & Oyster Bar in Morehead City. We have dietary restrictions and Sammy came to our table to discuss what we could have and how he could modify other menu items. The seafood was fresh and delicious, and the service was excellent. We were told they were opening another restaurant across the street but I can't remember the name of it. The only drawback is it is not waterfront, though they do have some outdoor dining. Sammys Seafood House and Oyster Bar | Morehead City Restaurant
Sammys is great, from what I understand he is a licensed fisherman and brings in his own catch to the restaurant. We were there one time and he had a cooler of wahoo on the back walkway that he had just caught that day. He did a special that night it was a crabmeat stuffed Wahoo... it was really good!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,466 times
PLEASE stay as far away from The Sanitary as possible...I dont care if its a tradition or not but it has the absolutely most horrific food I have ever encountered (deep fried crap that tastes freezer burnt and is not fresh) with bad service and outrageous prices!!
Hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed The Island Grill in Atlantic beach for our date night out and our family enjoyed Amos Mosquitos (kids loved the smores) however none of these places are truly "foodie" type places that you are looking for. Ruddy Duck Tavern is waterfront and has great fresh seafood dishes (awesome fish tacos).
I've also heard great things about Katherine's Bistro in Emerald Isle but its not oceanfront and is apparently very expensive.
Anyway hope you enjoy the beach

Sent from my SGH-T989

Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
Without question: Channel Marker Restaurant

Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Beaufort Grocery Co. And El's Drive-In are the two best places to eat down there.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You could ask on the coastal forum or some other more travel or food related forums.

such as tripadvisor
and
chowhound

if I'm allowed to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary