Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times

Advertisements

I have whatever those are all over out yard, in the bushes, in the corners of the house outside, and on the kids' swingset. I just assumed they were black widows, but I am not sure. We've only been here a year and I certainly didn't see half of the spiders in WI that I see here. I'd like to know for sure. My neighbor says black widows are ONLY in dark, damp places so they can't be, but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM

140 posts, read 214,481 times
Black widows. they kill small children with 1 bite. even adults. I would be very careful.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 AM

342 posts, read 751,945 times
Yeah I didn't think widows started out black OR very tiny. AND...speak of the devil, in my garage yesterday found this dead next to the door. Not sure if my treatment is still active or it was the heat or lack of water that got it. You can see it has the traditional hourglass underneath, but also orange-red spots on the top of it's back.
Attached Thumbnails
Are these spiders poisonous???-img_20130808_183030.jpg   Are these spiders poisonous???-img_20130808_182712.jpg  

Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knagy389us View Post
Yeah I didn't think widows started out black OR very tiny. AND...speak of the devil, in my garage yesterday found this dead next to the door. Not sure if my treatment is still active or it was the heat or lack of water that got it. You can see it has the traditional hourglass underneath, but also orange-red spots on the top of it's back.
EEWWW. Now yours you can see the hourglass clearly. The op's it's not clear-their photos look like what are all over my property, but unsure if it's the same thing.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
I have encountered black widows in a open horse riding arena on the jumping equipment. I would be careful. I saw a HUGE wolf spider there too, in the barn... about the size of my fist...I screamed like a girl and spooked the horses!
I would spray down the playground equipment with pesticide and wait a few days and then pressure wash. I have a client I do this to his play area 2x a year.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM

And I DO NOT like spiders. I definitely have Arachnophobia. Had one drop down from my sun visor while driving one day - I nearly took out a mailbox. No lie, ask my friend who was behind me.

I killed 5 in my garage last year, including the huge adult female. This year I've now found the one which leads me to believe there are others as this is the one I found first last year before hunting the big one down.

And I have to delete all the pix I take as I cannot stand to see them again. Luckily they are small here and I won't open them.

I'm ordering my Suspend Sc Insecticide today.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
I have no love for any spiders, but I have a question? Are they more likely to bite you than any other spider? I guess what I’m saying is, I don’t think I’ve ever been bit by any spider, so is a black widow more likely to try to bite me? I’ve found 2 in 6 years living in NC. They both died under my shoe just like any other bug. They don’t seem to have any super powers.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I have no love for any spiders, but I have a question? Are they more likely to bite you than any other spider? I guess what I’m saying is, I don’t think I’ve ever been bit by any spider, so is a black widow more likely to try to bite me? I’ve found 2 in 6 years living in NC. They both died under my shoe just like any other bug. They don’t seem to have any super powers.
You're probably right. You just have to watch where you stick your hand. But they're not going to come at you and attack And I've read articles that talk about spider bites that said there are only a few types whose fangs can pierce the skin. Of course, black widow, brown recluse included and around here. Seems like when a person has a bite they can't identify they blame a spider.

For me, it's mostly because of my phobia.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
No, black widows aren't actually very aggressive. They only bother you if you mess with them or their web. It's almost always folks who aren't watching where they put their hands or feet that get bitten — reaching an ungloved hand into a dark box or putting on an old pair of boots with a spider lurking in the bottom.

I can't tell if the OPs pix are black widows, but knagy's sure are. Yeeesh!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knagy389us View Post
You're probably right. You just have to watch where you stick your hand. But they're not going to come at you and attack And I've read articles that talk about spider bites that said there are only a few types whose fangs can pierce the skin. Of course, black widow, brown recluse included and around here. Seems like when a person has a bite they can't identify they blame a spider.

For me, it's mostly because of my phobia.
My wife just got bit my a Barn Spider yesterday and she has two little holes in her neck where it bit (looks like a tiny vampire bit her). Good thing they're not poisonous, but they look a lot like brown widows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary