Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,701 times

Advertisements

I am excited to hear that both google fiber and att Gigapower have plans to bring faster internet to Morrisville but was curious if there are any other options besides TWC which has been driving me crazy. I pay for 50mbps internet service but when I check the speed it hovers around 3mbps. I live in Kitts Creek. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:58 PM

235 posts, read 423,559 times
3 mbps via speedtest.net? that doesnt sound right

Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle10 View Post
I pay for 50mbps internet service but when I check the speed it hovers around 3mbps. I live in Kitts Creek. Thanks!
Are you sure you're looking at the right number? There are different numbers for downstream and upstream.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle10 View Post
I am excited to hear that both google fiber and att Gigapower have plans to bring faster internet to Morrisville but was curious if there are any other options besides TWC which has been driving me crazy. I pay for 50mbps internet service but when I check the speed it hovers around 3mbps. I live in Kitts Creek. Thanks!
The other options are ... AT&T and Google!

You live in one of the very, very few areas of America that are going to have two credible choices for fast (50 megabit-plus) broadband -- let alone three. Most places have one true broadband provider; besides that you are stuck with DSL or satellite, both under 10 megabits.

Not that this helps you immediately, but you should know you have more options than almost anyone else does.

Be aggressive in monitoring AT&T and Google for availability. This assumes you are in a house. If you are in an apartment, or a townhouse community with underground utilities/conduits, start talking now to your property manager to make sure there is not an exclusive arrangement in place with existing cable/Internet providers and that you will be able to get new service as it is added. (If AT&T serves you for landline, this is unlikely to be much of an issue for landlines.)

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:44 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
So who laid the big orange lines all over Southern Wake County last year?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Are you sure you're looking at the right number? There are different numbers for downstream and upstream.
Agreed.

I have TWC Business Class (50 mbps) and... let me check right now... 38.88 down and 5.79 up.

And that's on my work computer...

If I check it on my iPhone I get... 48.06 down and 5.37 up.

I think OP is looking at the wrong number. If not, I'd call someone to get that fixed.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times
Would 53/30 be considered good or bad?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,701 times
It seems that it only clocks in at extremely slow speeds when I use my laptop downstairs since my router is upstairs. I live in a two-story house. I've never had this issue at my other home though (Same setup). I wonder if a wifi extender would work? I've done a speed test upstairs next to my router and speeds range from 20mbps-50mbps. When I run the test downstairs the range is between 3mbps-10mpbs. Is all this fluctuation normal?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 PM

563 posts, read 956,784 times
Sounds like the router may be the culprit.

- What type of speed do you get connected via an ethernet cable (not wireless) directly to the router?
- What speed do you get directly connected via an ethernet cable to the cable modem?
- Do you own your cable modem or rent one? If you rent one, work with your cable modem service's customer support to verify everything is ok with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: