Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times

Advertisements

If you have an electric Jenn Air downdraft range that you bought within the last three years, are you happy with it? I need a new range, and I like the downdraft, but some of the reviews have not been good.

Thanks for responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I've never had one, but know a couple of friends who did, and I know they felt the downdraft feature left a lot to be desired.

Too many kitchens lack a good, externally vented range hood - and no, "micro-hoods" don't count.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Mine was older than three years, but I'll give you my 2 cents. It was one of those fancy stoves with the griddle and the grill pieces that popped out to exchange with the burners. We enjoyed the versatility of that...but it was gawd-awful hard to clean. all the pieces and the nooks and crannies, and the downdraft itself---a sticky greasy gross mess.

Now that I think about it, does anyone clean the inside of the stove hood updraft? So it is probably gross up in there also.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I had the same kind Library Sue did and sticking my hand down to pull out that filter and to clean that cavity was yucky.I know stoves have to have vent for code but now we have a very expensive Dacor with 5 burners with the down draft vent which is retractable and I rarely use it. We have a huge open space on the first floor which means any fumes are dissipated in the air. I'm sure I would use it if we had a more closed off kitchen.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I dunno that I'd want a down draft. I'm too attached to my big old vent to the outside hood.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Now that I think about it, does anyone clean the inside of the stove hood updraft? So it is probably gross up in there also.
Yes, regularly.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:57 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
We had a BlueStar 5 burner cooktop in our old house with a downdraft vent. The vent was inadequate for the amount of cooking we do because it didn't raise high enough above the tallest stock pot we use. We have a BlueStar 6 burner range in this house with a traditional range hood and it is so much better than the downdraft. (And, yes, we do clean it regularly.)

Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
We have a Jenn-Air, purchased from Ferguson. Not a cheap stove. And downdraft was our only choice due to the age and construction of our house.

The drafting mechanism is operated by Lilliputian beings with tiny, tiny fans who slowly move their arms from left to right when you press the switch, causing a tiny amount of air to slowly waft down the vent. Or at least, based on performance, that's what I've assumed.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:20 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
Bull City Rising,

Have you had problems with your Jenn Air? Like you, the age and construction of my house limit my options. My options are another downdraft or microwave circulation, which I hate.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
Bull City Rising,

Have you had problems with your Jenn Air? Like you, the age and construction of my house limit my options. My options are another downdraft or microwave circulation, which I hate.
You don't have an option to add outside venting? I had the microwave circulation option and hated it. The microwave was too high for my wife to use it without fear of spilling boiling hot water on herself. I had an hvac guy run venting through my garage to an outside wall. My stove was against the garage wall so it was not difficult at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: