Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:10 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times

Advertisements

Considering fruit trays for brunch. 80 guests. This time of year there is limited fresh fruit. A friend suggested frozen fruit from Cosco, BJ's. Frozen fruit trays? I would think frozen fruit would be for cooking, not fruit trays. Anyone used Lowes Foods for fresh fruit trays? Suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 05:20 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Lot of fresh fruit in the produce aisle these days - cantaloupe, honeydews, watermelons, strawberries, grapes, pineapples, blueberries, raspberries honeycrisp apples, pears, oranges ...

The problem with fruit trays from grocery deli depts. is that much of the fruit is often unripe. Lots of tasteless orange and green melon chunks, pineapples that would have benefited from few days of ripening...all topped with a few artfully placed strawberries.

I've always thought was strange as you would think grocery stores would have all sorts of melons that have over ripened that they could cut off the bad chunks and use the rest in fruit trays. Or they could put fruit for fruit trays to ripen in the back.

Is there a grocery store that specializes in ripe fruit for fruit trays? Whole foods?

If not, do you have the time to select and ripen the fruit yourself? It would take a couple people an hour or two to cut and arrange fruit trays for 80 people. Soak the apple and pear slices in lemon juice or Seven-Up to keep them from darkening. There are numerous pinterest pages on fruit tray displays. I've made rainbow fruit kabobs for a hundred that were the hit of the party. Took about an hour to cut everything up and an hour to load the skewers.

Frozen fruit will be a mushy, melty mess on a brunch buffet.

What else are you serving?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Sams Club often has fresh fruit trays with a center "dip" but their produce is hit or miss.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
Jason's Deli does fruit trays that our office has used for meetings. I've thought it was better than most grocery store trays I've had. The fruits are ripe, flavorful, & I believe they are organic if that matters to you.

http://www.jasonsdeli.com/system/fil..._menu_t3_0.pdf

Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I'm a little surprised that anyone would consider this time of year to be limited in fresh fruit.

How about a couple of pre cut trays from the grocery store, then supplement with some larger quantities of things like grapes (that require minimal prep) and squares of melon?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Is it possible to make one yourself? I find plenty of fresh fruit in my local grocery sto and just made al arge fruit platter for a babyshower. Grab a pineapple, a half of a watermelon, a cantaloupe, several tubs of strawberries, a couple of kiwis and a couple of pounds of grapes. It requires a little work but the results are usually much better than buying something pre-made.

Last edited by lamishra; 09-16-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
I would check out Whole Foods. They tend to have a wider variety of fruit, and much better quality.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:20 PM

219 posts, read 483,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Is it possible to make one yourself? I find plenty of fresh fruit in my local grocery sto and just made al arge fruit platter for a babyshower. Grab a pineapple, a half of a watermelon, a cantaloupe, several tubs of strawberries, a couple of kiwis and a couple of pounds of grapes. It requires a little work but the results are usually much better than buying something pre-made.
I agree. I think the prices most places charge for fresh fruit and veg trays are astronomical, and I could never pay that much. Especially if the result might be underripe.

That said, you could buy the whole fruits at a warehouse club or even a grocery store on sale and do all the washing/slicing/dicing yourself. The only downside in addition to the time it takes to do the prep is that it can't be made up very far in advance or things like berries will rot; other stuff might start to turn brown.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:44 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
I have gotten some prepackaged trays from While Foods and been a bit surprised that some of the fruit is still underripe. Similar issues with Costco just depending on the season. They do have a large bowl of fruit, 4lbs for $12.99 though. I believe you can order fruit trays from them as well

Have a friend who got some great fruit from Aldi for a good price but fruit for 80 people is a lot!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
I agree. I think the prices most places charge for fresh fruit and veg trays are astronomical, and I could never pay that much. Especially if the result might be underripe.

That said, you could buy the whole fruits at a warehouse club or even a grocery store on sale and do all the washing/slicing/dicing yourself. The only downside in addition to the time it takes to do the prep is that it can't be made up very far in advance or things like berries will rot; other stuff might start to turn brown.
Apple, pear, and banana slices can be soaked for 3-5 minutes in either:
Salt water (1/2 teaspoon per quart of water)
Lemon water (1 tablespoon of lemon juice per 1 cup of water)
Sprite, 7-Up, or some other lemon-lime, carbonated soda pop

This will keep them from browning on the platter.

Berries need to be washed just before serving. If you wash them ahead of time, use a mixture of white or apple cider vinegar and water. (1 cup of vinegar to 2 quarts of water) Then rinse and put out on paper towels to dry in the refrigerator. This will keep the mildew away.

I used to help out a friend who ran a B&B that was known for outrageous fruit platters. She always had pineapples, kiwis and mangos ripening on a shelf. Apples, grapes and berries in the fridge. Cantaloups, melons, nectarines peaches, plums, pears, cherries in season. What fun to make beautiful arrangements with these.

It's so sad to see what passes for a fruit platter these days. Crunchy, tasteless melon chunks, unripe pineapple pieces, with a few strawberries scattered on top for decoration.

It takes time to pick out the fruit and give it time to ripen. And you can buy the platters with the covers at Costco. But the actual making of the platters does not take that long and can be done the night before Sprinkle the berries on top just before setting on the table.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-17-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary