Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post

I can easily avoid on leash dogs that I know will frighten my dog into his aggressive behavior, but if a dog is running loose it gets a whole lot more complicated. He does so well with calm dogs at a distance (especially ones that are ignoring him) but the unruly ones with ignorant owners cause us all sorts of problems. You'd think we'd get a break from that B.S. at 6:15AM, but apparently not!

This is exactly my problem too. The other day I had bent over to pick up the poop that my dog had just deposited, and as I did so the dog that had been walking towards us (on leash) suddenly charged my dog (who was standing calmly next to me) "because it just wanted to say hello" and flew out to the end of its flexi lead and made physical contact with my dog. My dog exploded into a fury of snapping and barking. He didn't actually bite the RUDE approaching dog, but the owner was mightily offended and said I needed to control my dog.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I would say you would be 95% blameless. You should be able to control your dog regardless of the situation, however realize not all dogs are trained as a pup. Some are rescue dogs that are in various stages of learning.
I/we should be 100% blameless if we are attacked by an off-leash dog, but unfortunately it is the pit bull's turn to be on the bad list (formerly held by rottweilers, dobermans, etc), so it will always be our fault. I am in control of my dog, but can not control an off-leash dog.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I/we should be 100% blameless if we are attacked by an off-leash dog, but unfortunately it is the pit bull's turn to be on the bad list (formerly held by rottweilers, dobermans, etc), so it will always be our fault. I am in control of my dog, but can not control an off-leash dog.
If his dog is attacked of course his dog is 100% blameless. I'm just saying there is a difference between attacked and wandered over too. The person who can't control their dog off leash is wrong on many levels, the law, and a lack of control. But I think the pit bull(or any dog) should be controled in this situation. Every situation is different. Especially with people who are good enough to rescue these dogs.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:09 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Only 1 off leash dog in 4 miles today - better than usual. The owner of said dog was using a stick to flick poo into the woods rather than clean up after his dog properly - why am I not surprised?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 AM

292 posts, read 507,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Great idea People who type such suggestions of violence are typically the last people to actually do it.
That's likely because the same people who are smart enough to arrive at effective preemptive solutions are the same ones that avoid getting too deep into problems that they have to resort to really hurting anyone in the first place.

Besides, there's a big difference between defending yourself and "suggesting violence".

I'll pepper spray a dog or owner that's threatening me in a heartbeat, and that's probably only the precursor to what they're going to get.

Quote:
Pepper spray dogs and people, easy way to get a real weapon pulled on you. There are always better ways to solve a situation.
If the dog owner decided to carry a firearm or similar weapon to the park or wherever and use it to antagonize or injure, that's a felony for them to work through with their new love interest named Bubba in prison later, it's not for me to worry about in addition to whatever charges they brought upon themselves with the dog situation.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:40 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
That's likely because the same people who are smart enough to arrive at effective preemptive solutions are the same ones that avoid getting too deep into problems that they have to resort to really hurting anyone in the first place.

Besides, there's a big difference between defending yourself and "suggesting violence".

I'll pepper spray a dog or owner that's threatening me in a heartbeat, and that's probably only the precursor to what they're going to get.

If the dog owner decided to carry a firearm or similar weapon to the park or wherever and use it to antagonize or injure, that's a felony for them to work through with their new love interest named Bubba in prison later, it's not for me to worry about in addition to whatever charges they brought upon themselves with the dog situation.
Ok tough guy, go ahead and use a weapon - pepper spray - on a person or animal whom you feel "threatened by". Because you are the judge and jury, and when your insecurity and fear triggers your "im threatened now, need to lash out!" radar, its totally justified, because how you feel is all that matters. You think its a great idea to escalate a situation into violence - "the precursor to what they will get" - best of luck. You may feel this way on the Internet, but for everyone else's sake lets hope it fades when you step away from the keyboard.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 PM

292 posts, read 507,778 times
Quote:
Ok tough guy, go ahead and use a weapon - pepper spray - on a person or animal whom you feel "threatened by". Because you are the judge and jury, and when your insecurity and fear triggers your "im threatened now, need to lash out!" radar, its totally justified, because how you feel is all that matters. You think its a great idea to escalate a situation into violence - "the precursor to what they will get" - best of luck. You may feel this way on the Internet, but for everyone else's sake lets hope it fades when you step away from the keyboard.
I feel sorry for anyone who is unable to distinguish between acts of violence and self defense, and especially sorry for those who are under the delusion that their pooch has a right to attack or intimidate others. Here's a novel idea, just keep the mutt on a leash and you won't have to worry about finding yourself in pain.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for anyone who is unable to distinguish between acts of violence and self defense, and especially sorry for those who are under the delusion that their pooch has a right to attack or intimidate others. Here's a novel idea, just keep the mutt on a leash and you won't have to worry about finding yourself in pain.
Exactly. He assumes pepper spray is violence. Violence is when someone kicks the dog in the face and knocks all of it's teeth out because the owner failed to restrain their dog. Violence is when the same owner gets their own teeth kicked out of their mouth because they have decided to use the same mouth to talk crap to the person who did the kicking even though the dog owner is the person breaking the law by not restraining their dog.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,720 times
Drives me nuts as well. Our neighbors are good about that but even for the dog that accidentally gets out ( which happened to me ) you end up with a dog fight. I already purchased this but never used it on walks...now I do

Dog Off Pro Ultrasonic Dog Trainer

It works great! After the dog fight I was walking my dogs and this time 2 dogs came up the street. Not sure if they got out but I hit the alarm and they stopped then went back the other way!

Old 09-21-2013, 02:34 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Hahaha easy keyboard killa. I'm not advocating anything other than people not taking your terrible advice to pepper spray dogs on a whim based on "self defense". Stay e-thuggin bro, I'm comforted knowing anyone this aggressive on the Internet is likely to be the opposite in reality.

As another poster pointed out long ago in another thread, there are non violent, non confrontational, non harmful ways of dealing with the unfortunate situation of your lack of comfort around dogs whose owners may be irresponsible in having them off the leash around unprepared strangers. It blows my mind seeing e-heros talking big and bad about pepper spraying animals and people instead of just handling the situation maturely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary