Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 02:22 AM

22 posts, read 62,828 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm hoping that I can get some insight into some of the more desirable neighborhoods between 440 and 540 in Raleigh. Our daughter will be attending school just inside the beltline around Six Forks, so I wanted to keep the drive to no more than 20 minutes if possible. Our price range is around $400k-$600k. We looked around North Hills, but weren't crazy about that area (great mall though!). We love neighborhoods like Crossgate and Macgregor but feel that the drive to our daughters school would be too long. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 06:26 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,565 times
North Ridge, Brookhaven (the newer section), Stonebridge. There are also a number of subdivisions between Durant and Strickland off Six Forks, but I can't remember all of their names. I live in one of them, just North of 540 and my daughter attended Our Lady of Lourdes (inside the beltline off Six Forks). Our trip was 20 minutes max. So you may want to look at some of those even though they are north of 540. I wouldn't go north of Durant however.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Thanks! We drove through Brookhaven today, but didn't see a newer section of it. Do you know which street we can access it from? I think we came in off of the street near Jeffreys Grove. I love North Ridge, but I'm not crazy about having the golf course as our backyard. I will check out the subdivisions that you mentioned off of Six Forks near Durant/Strickland. This is our 3rd visit to Raleigh, so I am hopeful that we can decide on a neighborhood now that we narrowed down the school (it's Lourdes too by the way!). One last question, is the traffic pretty bad in the morning on Falls of Neuse and Six Forks heading south from 540? Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:43 PM

The section of Brookhaven is called Brookhaven West and you access it off of Leesville just north of Millbrook. The street is either Westglen or Chatford. There is a home on Westglen for sale - MLS 961783. There is also a newer subdivision called Bennett Place, newer homes but small lots. It's off Millbrook. Head east on Millbrook past Creedmoor Rd and it will be the first left. Another area is the newer section of Stonehenge - off of Ray Road on Laurel Mountain. As far as traffic, I don't think traffic on Six Forks is very bad. You can normally make it through any traffic light in one cycle. It gets a little congested at North Hills, but the lights are sync'd pretty well - just stay out of the right lane when heading South. I think Falls of Neuse is worse because it gets alot of the Wakefield traffic. Good choice with Lourdes by the way - great school!

Last edited by mfrank2109; 11-17-2007 at 11:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Going South on Six Forks and Falls of Neuse used to be a lot worse before 540 was opened. Now, the traffic is less one directional with some heading South toward 440 and some heading North to 540. As for neighborhoods, I'd check out Kershaw Hills (an obscure few streets of larger homes buried within the North Hills area). I'd also check out the neighborhoods lining either side of Strickland Road between Falls of Neuse and Creedmoor Rd if you are yet to be satisfied by your choices. The newer ones will push your upper limit but there are many existing neighborhoods that certainly fall within your targeted price range. Additionally, there are many homes in North Ridge that do not back up to the golf course if that's your only concern. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 AM

Thanks. We will check out those areas today. Do you think that Crossgate would be too far?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
If I am remembering where Crossgate is (Strickland Road?), then I'd say you are probably fine. Have you considered neighborhoods inside the beltline? Check out the neighborhoods along Glen Eden Drive and Ridge Rd. The prices are higher than they are in North Raleigh but it is another option.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 PM

Crossgate is off of Durant. Nice neighborhood (I believe North Raleigh Guy posted some pictures in an earlier thread of the neighborhood). A negative would be the light at Durant and Six Forks - sometimes traffic will back up there. Another neighborhood you might want to consider - if it's not too late is Bent Tree off Strickland between Six Forks and Falls of the Neuse. We know people in both Crossgate and Bent Tree who send their kids to OLL, so you may be able to set up a carpool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary