Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM

41 posts, read 71,892 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a student at UNC-CH. My family is relocating from New Jersey to North Carolina. My mother is working in Raleigh but our extended family is located in Orange County. She wants to be somewhere in between. She has looked in newer developments like the Preserve at Jordan Lake and some areas around Southpoint, but prefers established neighborhoods like Hope Valley. Her price range is $600,000-750,000. The housing stock for sale in Hope Valley seems relatively limited right now. Are there any other locations that have nice, established neighborhoods in close proximity to grocery stores that are convenient to both Raleigh and the Hillsborough area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Where in Raleigh is she working?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM

41 posts, read 71,892 times
She's working at NCSU. She doesn't want to live in Raleigh because of the distance to Hillsborough.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Brier Creek?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 PM

Ahhh.. Check. Let me see... thinking of that path along the highway... that's tough because you've already picked out my favorite neighborhood in Durham.

Perhaps some of the Durham folks will chime in.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Brier Creek?
I thought of that but there's really nothing that's "established" in Brier Creek.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I thought of that but there's really nothing that's "established" in Brier Creek.
I don't think I'd agree with that. Brier Creek Country Club has homes that are 11-12 years old, and the landscaping looks pretty established (at least to these ex-Phoenix, I'm used to desert eyes). It would also fit into the budget that the OP stated, is a great area for newbies who need to establish new social circles and is convenient to everything.

That said, I would agree that the newer areas of BCCC (like Regency where I live) are too new to meet the stated requirements.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM

924 posts, read 2,104,710 times
"Established" is all relative, of course, but to me Brier Creek doesn't exactly seem very established, either. But clearly it's just a matter of one's point of view. If it's not established enough for the OP's mother, or otherwise unsuitable for her or just not her cup of tea, how about the Parkwood or Woodcroft areas of Durham? Not quite as swanky (her housing budget would go a long way in either area), though still nice, and fairly established communities that are also quite central. Or, possibly even better, how about an even more established neighborhood closer to Downtown Durham but still on the Raleigh side, like Morehead Hill or Cleveland-Holloway? Those would admittedly put her a bit closer to Hillsborough than to Raleigh, but the commute to N.C. State still wouldn't be too egregious most times. And they strike me as more fun, interesting, appealing places to live than some of the others discussed, though it's true that the total volume of available housing stock in neighborhoods like those is not necessarily that great either.

Last edited by tompope; 09-30-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't think I'd agree with that. Brier Creek Country Club has homes that are 11-12 years old, and the landscaping looks pretty established (at least to these ex-Phoenix, I'm used to desert eyes). It would also fit into the budget that the OP stated, is a great area for newbies who need to establish new social circles and is convenient to everything.

That said, I would agree that the newer areas of BCCC (like Regency where I live) are too new to meet the stated requirements.
Well, that's a good point, Jk.

I was thinking about "established" like the way that Hope Valley is established. It makes the homes in BC look like brand new.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Maybe check out the Croasdaile area of Durham. I've just driven thru (there's a retirement place there in the neighborhood I was looking at for my parents) but the homes looked very nice. I don't know how much they go for. They might be more than your price point. The neighborhood is in NW Durham and iirc not too far from 70 so seems like not too far from Hillsborough. Not sure what the commute to Raleigh would be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary