Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 05:03 PM

26 posts, read 39,451 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We are planning a possible relocation to the Triangle area after a recent visit.
More than likely we will be depending on private insurance - at least at first.
I wanted to know how good private insurance plans are in the Triangle area.
From what I've read, there are few options as there are few providers and for
this reason, premiums and healthcare costs are high. Any comment on this
and any comment on the cost of delivery in the Triangle area? We are open
to the idea of a birthing center as well. I know these are open-ended questions,
but I'm really just looking for feedback.

Thanks!

Aidan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM

494 posts, read 816,419 times
Blue Cross Blue Shield and Aetna are two companies that I know of that offer coverage for individuals. If you want to buy 2014 coverage on the Marketplace, then your only option is BCBSNC.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
It's all up in the air with the Obamacare initiative which may or may not happen.

Most current plans exclude pregnancy if it began before coverage started.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
It's all up in the air with the Obamacare initiative which may or may not happen.

Most current plans exclude pregnancy, period.

Coventry is another provider you can get through the marketplace, at least in Durham County. Rates are cheaper, and any plan listed on the marketplace must provide prenatal and newborn care.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:11 PM

305 posts, read 761,343 times
For the birthing center option, the only freestanding birthing center in the Triangle is the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill.

Women's Birth & Wellness Center. Chapel Hill, North Carolina

I had my second daughter there, and they are GREAT if you are on board for minimal medical intervention with childbirth. I believe the cost of prenatal care plus birth there is around $3000, assuming no complications, versus more like $12,000 in a hospital. They have sliding scale and payment plans if you don't have insurance. The risk if you don't have insurance is that there will be a complication, in which case they will transfer you to UNC, which will significantly increase the price. But for a healthy pregnancy, it's going to be your absolute best value. Do be aware that they fill up quickly are are often unable to take transfer patients, so call as soon as you have an inkling that you might want to sign on.

Good luck!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,522 times
With the new health care exchanges maternity care will be provided with all plans. That's part of the ACA-there will not be as much a la carte- pricing will not be different for men, women, young, old. There are 10 (I think) services that must be covered according to our govt and maternity is one of them.

It depends on your county but in Wake you have two options: BCBS of NC or Coventry (somehow associated with Aetna I believe).

If you go the the BCBS of NC site and click on "get a quote" you will have quotes within 30 seconds, and all you need is your age, spouse, any kids- nothing specific like SS, etc.

Be prepared, NC will have some of the highest premiums in the country due to lack of competition and lack of the state setting up their own exchanges and relying on the feds.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 PM

399 posts, read 700,777 times
Quote:

The ACA aka Obamacare is the law of the land, not an initiative.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
With the new health care exchanges maternity care will be provided with all plans. That's part of the ACA-there will not be as much a la carte- pricing will not be different for men, women, young, old. There are 10 (I think) services that must be covered according to our govt and maternity is one of them.

It depends on your county but in Wake you have two options: BCBS of NC or Coventry (somehow associated with Aetna I believe).

If you go the the BCBS of NC site and click on "get a quote" you will have quotes within 30 seconds, and all you need is your age, spouse, any kids- nothing specific like SS, etc.

Be prepared, NC will have some of the highest premiums in the country due to lack of competition and lack of the state setting up their own exchanges and relying on the feds.
Yes, that is my concern, the high premiums. A real bummer as everything else in NC seems so cheap.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylemphloem View Post
For the birthing center option, the only freestanding birthing center in the Triangle is the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill.

Women's Birth & Wellness Center. Chapel Hill, North Carolina

I had my second daughter there, and they are GREAT if you are on board for minimal medical intervention with childbirth. I believe the cost of prenatal care plus birth there is around $3000, assuming no complications, versus more like $12,000 in a hospital. They have sliding scale and payment plans if you don't have insurance. The risk if you don't have insurance is that there will be a complication, in which case they will transfer you to UNC, which will significantly increase the price. But for a healthy pregnancy, it's going to be your absolute best value. Do be aware that they fill up quickly are are often unable to take transfer patients, so call as soon as you have an inkling that you might want to sign on.

Good luck!
Awesome, helpful info! Also good to get a word-of-mouth endorsement. Yes, with our first, we tried to go as natural as was prudent so we're on board with that. $3000 doesn't seem all too bad.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Quote:

AHAHAHAHAHA. May or may not happen? Keep dreaming.

Preganancy/births will be covered under the ACA and my advice to you would be to get a platinum plan prior to getting preggers.

My wife and I (mostly her) have had two babies at the birthing center in Chapel Hill. Its an awesome place but not for those with low pain threshholds. They are the only show in the state if you want a natural birth at a birthing center- not hospital. Birth there runs 6 grand and I have no idea if it would be covered under the ACA. I'm assuming it would.

During both of our births my wife was fully insured by BCBS and we paid for everything out of pocket. One of the many reasons the ACA is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary