Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 15,311 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this has been posted before but there are alot of posts to go through!

My husband and I currently live in Northern Virginia/DC and are considering moving to the Raleigh area to escape to traffic and to live somewhere with a slower pace with a mild southern feel. I was born and raised in small town western NC and loved it but there just aren't the jobs there that we need.

We really would like to find a quiet smallish town of about 15,000 that is a reasonable distance to city jobs (within 30 min). My husband is looking for a defense contracting/fed. government job. Have any of those there?

Anyway, we are a young, educated couple, politically conservative, do not require ethnic diversity nor child oriented "stuff" and have a budget of $300,000-$350,000 and prefer newer construction. I do hate those cookie cutter neighborhoods though! If anybody could suggest N,S, E, W, towns, neighborhoods..... Anything would be great since we haven't gotten to actually visit Raleigh yet. We just hear good things! Thanks!

P.S. I'm a horse lover! Suggestions for quality hunter/jumper show stables in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 77,127 times
You should come down and take a look at the area. I'd recommend the area down in Garner, Johnston county where there are ranches for horses and cows, very beautiful area. Cost of living is cheap, house is really affordable in that area.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:38 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern25 View Post
My husband is looking for a defense contracting/fed. government job. Have any of those there?
Not a lot of that here - nothing like the DC area. I definitely suggest he find a job before moving to the area if that is indeed what he's looking for.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 AM

266 posts, read 590,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Not a lot of that here - nothing like the DC area. I definitely suggest he find a job before moving to the area if that is indeed what he's looking for.
The job market is definitely going to be more lucrative overall but more volatile. Jobs are cut on a dime and scooped back just as easily. It's not for the faint of heart.

Most people I've come to know who have left the Triangle did so because they overspent and lost their job. When they exhausted what little savings they had, they left to find a more stable job track (defense contracting, etc).

Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,647 times
I am in the process of moving to Raleigh from the DC area (Bethesda, MD.) The reason so many people live in the DC area, in spite of the difficulties of traffic and housing prices and all the rest, is jobs. Especially in the fields you mention, DC is the place to be. It's a tough reality, but true.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Hillsborough is a great town that is worth checking out.

Not sure you'll find much in the way of defense contract work around here, though.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
My husband is looking for a defense contracting/fed. government job. Have any of those there?
There is an FBI branch office and Homeland Security offices (customs and immigration) in Charlotte. Maybe your husband can contact them to find job openings throughout the state.

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Charlotte Field Office

400 South Tryon Street
Suite 900
Charlotte, North Carolina 28285
(704) 377-9200

Department of Homeland Security

- Bureau of Citizenship & Immigration Services
Address: 6130 Tyvola Center Drive, Charlotte, NC 28217
Phone: 704-672-6990 Fax: 704-672-6969

Bureau of Customs and Border Protection
Address: 1901 Cross Beam Dr.; Charlotte, NC 28217
Phone: 704-329-6136 Fax: 704-329-6144
Web: CBP.gov - home page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary