Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,318,349 times

Advertisements

This will be my first marathon and was curious if any other city-data peeps on this forum were planning to run in this race (either full or half marathon). If so, how has your training been going and where have you been running to get ready? I've been running for 3 years now and started training for this race a little over 5 months ago.

A good friend of mine familiar with the course recommended I run the House Creek greenway trail since that is part of the race course and includes a killer hill at mile 23. I've run that route a few times now and the hill is indeed a tough one. I've also been running with some local run clubs like the Big Boss Brewery Run Club and the River Run Club that meets in Bedford. Just finished my last long run this past weekend and getting psyched for the race.

If any of you have words of wisdom from past experience running this race I'm all ears. I feel ready but always enjoy learning from others experiences. If you are running, good luck and I hope you are enjoying tapering off on the miles these next three weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,440,780 times
Hi NRG -
My husband is running. This will be his 3rd City of Oaks Marathon and 5th marathon in total. He ran his first at age 50.....he is now 62. He read that the course is going to be flatter this year, that they are doing away with the greenway portion.

Good luck!! See you at the Bell Tower!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 AM

Ljd,

Do you know where he read that? From the website and the people I've spoken to there is still a significant portion on the greenway (from Meredith college up to Shelley lake and back on greenway) that is where the killer hill is!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 AM

4,480 posts, read 11,634,500 times
I'm not running it, but have signed up for my first half marathon in April (Rock & Roll Marathon).

For tips I've found the running subreddit on Reddit to be chock full of really useful information.

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I'm not running it, but have signed up for my first half marathon in April (Rock & Roll Marathon).

For tips I've found the running subreddit on Reddit to be chock full of really useful information.

Good luck!

Cool. I am running the half marathon at the Rock n Roll race too. I think the city of oaks will be my one and only full marathon. I've enjoyed training for it, but have come to appreciate just how much time it takes to properly prepare for a 26.2 mile race. I'm looking forward to getting one under my belt to check it off my bucket list but also look forward to doing more 13.1 mile races and freeing up time for other things too. 13.1 is no joke and either btw!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 PM

797 posts, read 3,585,054 times
I ran it last year (the full marathon). Ran a 3:16. Was pretty happy with my time. I wanted to try to run sub 3:10 to qualify for Boston again (I ran Boston back in 2001) but missed it. It had been 10 years since my last marathon so not too shabby I guess. Overall it was a very easy course. Enjoyable, mainly the last 1/2 of it since it goes through the park.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:09 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,725,007 times
I was at Shelly Lake this past week and saw a sign that the race is going through Shelly and if so Wow!!!
I ran 3 years ago and what a great race.
I'm doing the OBX in November. I've run many so I'm walking this one with a friend that can't run anymore.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I ran it last year (the full marathon). Ran a 3:16. Was pretty happy with my time. I wanted to try to run sub 3:10 to qualify for Boston again (I ran Boston back in 2001) but missed it. It had been 10 years since my last marathon so not too shabby I guess. Overall it was a very easy course. Enjoyable, mainly the last 1/2 of it since it goes through the park.
Nice!! I don't plan on being anywhere near that fast!

Ljd, I have confirmed that the race is in fact partially on the greenway - Like Saluki pointed out in her post the course will go all the way up to Shelly Lake. It pretty much runs the length of the greenway from Meredith College up to Shelley lake. Here is a link to the official course route. Just wanted to let you know so your husband isn't surprised on race day! Good Luck to him and all the other runners!

http://www.cityofoaksmarathon.com/co...e-map-full.pdf

Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,350,773 times
I shall not be. My 5 reasons for not: 1. Not enough room, I like lots of room when I run. 2. Surface is not suitable for running. I prefer bare feet and sand under my feet with occasional water flowing through my toes. 3. Any distance greater than house to car is to much. 4. Allergic to Oaks. 5. Out of breath with just 4 above! Happy Tuesday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary