Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

This is a nice county-owned park that is located about 2 miles south of Tryon on Lake Wheeler Road. We stopped by yesterday so that my wife could get some fall pictures of the mill. They have mill tours led by people dressed in period clothes. They actually crank up the mill and grind corn during the tours, which is later sold at the park. They also have a small visitors' center, museum, hiking trails, and other nature activities such as canoeing on the pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Some photos of Yates Mill Pond-copy-yates-mill-fall-009.jpg   Some photos of Yates Mill Pond-copy-yates-mill-fall-005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This is a nice county owned park that is located about 2 miles south of Tryon on Lake Wheeler Road. We stopped by yesterday so that my wife could get some fall pictures of the mill.
Newuser,

Those are some sweet pictures. I passed the mill a few weeks ago on my way to lake wheeler park and have been meaning to get back over there to take a picture. I was thinking it would make for a great Christmas Card to send to my family back in NJ. I can only hope my picture comes out as nice as yours.

Great stuff!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Newuser,

Those are some sweet pictures. I passed the mill a few weeks ago on my way to lake wheeler park and have been meaning to get back over there to take a picture. I was thinking it would make for a great Christmas Card to send to my family back in NJ. I can only hope my picture comes out as nice as yours.

Great stuff!
Thanks NRG. I'll pass the compliments on to my wife.

I purchased 4 pounds of cornmeal from them this weekend. I plan to use it to recreate/brew 2 historical beers. The first is a beer recipe that Benjamin Franklin wrote about in an issue of his "Poor Richard's Almanac". It is a good approximation of what early colonial beer might have tasted like. The second recipe is a little more current. It is a recreation of a pre-prohibition American pilsner beer. This is what American pilsner beers were like before the marketing and accounting departments at Bud/Miller/Coors "ruined" them.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:00 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Very, very nice, NewUser.

I took a few last winter, and here's a favorite. It's OK. but not near as nice as yours, I think...

Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM

Nice picture Mike. I like it because you don't see the bridge for Lake Wheeler road in the background.

It's too bad, but someday they will need to widen Lake Wheeler road, and in doing so, they will more than likely build some monsterous bridge that will totally ruin the views of this mill. Hopefully that won't happen for a long time.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 AM

31 posts, read 78,460 times
Wow! Stunning photos! Especially the 1st one. Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up A few shots to add to the mix

NewUser,

I hope you don't mind if I jump in and add a few pictures I took at Yates Mill Pond Today. Let me just say again that your wife’s picture is awesome! I loved that shot with the image mirrored in the smooth pond surface! She should seriously consider submitting it for the upcoming Yates Mill photo contest I just heard about.

While my pictures pale in comparison to her's, here are a few pre-thanksgiving shots I took at Yates Mill Pond Today!

The Mill

Shots taken from the path around the pond

This is an announcement about the upcoming photo contest!

An undated photo of the mill: **Courtesy of the Wake County Parks Website**

Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM

Very nice NRG! You were there when it was not very crowded. We had trouble getting pictures without people in the way, and the tents were set up to sell the cornmeal and other items. We were there late in the afternoon, close to 4 or 5pm, so the sun lit up the side of the mill nicely. I guess we also lucked out with no wind and were able to get the glassy lake surface.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:10 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Quote:
Let me just say again that your wife’s picture is awesome! I loved that shot with the image mirrored in the smooth pond surface! She should seriously consider submitting it for the upcoming Yates Mill photo contest I just heard about.
I couldn't agree more!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 PM

NewUser,

Here is a link to more info about the photo contest in case your wife is interested.

2nd Annual Mill As Muse Photography Contest (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary