Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I can confirm that the job market here (NOVA) is practically like there is no recession. Pretty much anyone who wants a job can get one, and a good one, well paid and the specific kind of position they want.
I don't know, that sounds a little more than slightly exaggerated. I have several friends in various fields who live in NOVA. Some have been laidoff 2-3 times in the past 24 months and others have been out of work for more than 8 months. They would disagree with your assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't know, that sounds a little more than slightly exaggerated. I have several friends in various fields who live in NOVA. Some have been laidoff 2-3 times in the past 24 months and others have been out of work for more than 8 months. They would disagree with your assessment.
Were they laid off or did their contract end? There are tons of contractors in NoVa and they are sometimes between projects. I know one guy who is sometimes unemployed for short periods for that reason. With the recent government shutdown, the job environment isn't as stable as it was previously, but overall, during the recession, the DC area was just not as hard hit as the rest of the country. If your friends have been out of work for 8 months, they may be waiting for a particular job and not settling for something else. I know hundreds of people in NoVa, and I can think of only 1 person who was unemployed in the last few years. It really is a different job environment there.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Laid off. They weren't contract employees. I'm not saying it is terrible up there, but I think the notion that people have the pick of the litter is a bit of a stretch. I think the job market has way more to do with the field you are in vs. where you live. Broad statements about jobs in metros don't usually hold up when you start to look at the details of individual situations.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 AM

171 posts, read 233,324 times
I would agree with VASpaceMan. After being here in NoVA for two years, I feel like it is "what recession?" We came from the Midwest where nearly all of our close friends had one or both spouses out of work sometime in 2009 and/or 2010 and when they found work again, nearly all were underemployed. However, the housing expense, traffic, and rat race of NoVA gets old fast. I can't blame VASpaceMan for wanting a different way of life for his family. Unless you have a year's living expenses saved up, I second what others have said about finding a job first. With the RDU area being only 4 1/2 hours from NoVA, there is plenty of opportunity to interview on Friday or Monday without breaking the bank on your job search. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 AM

379 posts, read 517,860 times
I'm still up here in NYC and I also can say "what recession"? There are construction cranes all over Manhattan and certain areas of Brooklyn and Queens. The streets and restaurants are packed with tourists and locals. The real estate market is literally on fire here, which is good for us because we are looking to sell soon. As a previous poster stated that the job markets are centering around large cities and in certain fields may be correct.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
I'm still up here in NYC and I also can say "what recession"? There are construction cranes all over Manhattan and certain areas of Brooklyn and Queens. The streets and restaurants are packed with tourists and locals. The real estate market is literally on fire here, which is good for us because we are looking to sell soon. As a previous poster stated that the job markets are centering around large cities and in certain fields may be correct.
It does not feel like there's a recession here, either. Hasn't for the past year or two.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Naturally, all the major financial institutions got bailed out (and are still) at the expense of the taxpayer.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It does not feel like there's a recession here, either. Hasn't for the past year or two.
Probably because the recession ended in June 2009.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Naturally, all the major financial institutions got bailed out (and are still) at the expense of the taxpayer.
Plus NYC and it's wealthy surrounding suburbs are filled with people who would sooner go into foreclosure than not be seen at their regular trndy restaurant on Saturday night. I remember before I moved someone telling me about someone who was 3 months behind on their mortgage, but was still out to dinner with their crowd every Saturday night and so on. I can personally think of plenty of people I knew up there who were living so far above their means it was scary. Despite the housing market being "on fire" most of them are still underwater on their houses.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Probably because the recession ended in June 2009.
Oh yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary