Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times

Advertisements

IMPROVEMENT IN MORTGAGE MARKET BODES WELL FOR HOUSING IN 2008

WASHINGTON (October 10, 2007) – Conditions in the mortgage market are improving for consumers, which should help to release some pent-up demand in early 2008, according to the latest forecast by the National Association of RealtorsÒ.

Lawrence Yun, NAR senior economist, notes that widening credit availability will help turn around home sales. “Conforming loans are abundantly available at historically favorable mortgage rates. Pricing has steadily improved on jumbo mortgages since the August credit crunch, and FHA loans are replacing subprime mortgages,” he said.

Yun said it’s important to place the current housing market in perspective, and that 2007 will be the fifth highest year on record for existing-home sales. “Although sales are off from an unsustainable peak in 2005, there is a historically high level of home sales taking place this year – a lot of people are, in fact, buying homes,” he said. “One out of 16 American households is buying a home this year. The speculative excesses have been removed from the market and home sales are returning to fundamentally healthy levels, while prices remain near record highs, reflecting favorable mortgage rates and positive job gains.”

He emphasized all real estate is local with naturally large variations within a given area. “Markets like Austin, Salt Lake City and Raleigh have been outperforming recently and will continue to do well next year,” Yun said. “Other areas like Denver and Wichita will likely move up in the price growth rankings due to very positive local economic developments.”

Existing-home sales are expected to total 5.78 million in 2007 and then rise to 6.12 million next year, in contrast with 6.48 million in 2006. New-home sales are forecast at 804,000 this year and 752,000 in 2008, down from 1.05 million in 2006; a recovery for new homes will be delayed until next spring.

“A cutback in housing construction is a positive sign for the market because it will help lower inventory and firm up home prices,” Yun said. Housing starts, including multifamily units, are likely to total 1.37 million in 2007 and 1.24 million next year, down from 1.80 million in 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Great...let's hope we can get back to soaring home prices so that I can retire early.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:08 AM

14 posts, read 62,598 times
Thanks! Very Good news since I have a home being built and was kind of concerned about what would happen next year.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Question Coltank...

Where did you find this article please? Thanks friend

Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,223 times
Default I'm not a misery but...

Before we all do back flips for joy, look who wrote the article. Do you expect the National Association of Realtors to say anything else?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I think we should neither do backflips nor be "Debby Downers". Remember that SNL character? :-)
The market in the Triangle has always been steady and restrained in terms of pricing. There's very little out there that I see to knock that path off track. A sign that the area is headed for appreciation is that people are coming to NC in droves. On the flip side, the supply continues to be there and the folks who are coming haven't all sold their homes where they were. One might say that the ying and the yang of the market find themselves fairly balanced once again. If I were a buyer now (which I am not), I certainly wouldn't hold out for a huge price drop across the board. If I were a seller (which I am not), I wouldn't sit around with dollar signs in my eyes hoping that folks from Jersey and Florida are going to make them rich one day. Lastly, if I were a realtor (which I am not), I would educate my clients about the actual performance of all the areas submarkets so that they can all make the best, most informed decisions when buying and selling.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
Where did you find this article please? Thanks friend
I have a lot of friends who are Realtors and work for Builders

Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
Before we all do back flips for joy, look who wrote the article. Do you expect the National Association of Realtors to say anything else?
Since we are on the Raleigh/Triangle forum, the point of posting the article, no matter who it is from, is the fact that OUR market was specifically mentioned. All of the articles previously posted talking about the 'Doom and Gloom' did not mention our market. I think the intelligent people on this forum can make their own determinations about the state of our specific market.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
Since we are on the Raleigh/Triangle forum, the point of posting the article, no matter who it is from, is the fact that OUR market was specifically mentioned. All of the articles previously posted talking about the 'Doom and Gloom' did not mention our market. I think the intelligent people on this forum can make their own determinations about the state of our specific market.
Gloom Despair & Agony On Me Hee Haw | TV, Music & Movies | Funny Videos, Pictures and Jokes at JibJab (http://www.jibjab.com/view/150392 - broken link)

Hang in there for the "suffering in silence."

Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I had already posted this article and got the same response that you are, coltank.

I say let the people that are sitting by WAITING for the house prices to go down, continue to sit.

Meanwhile, my house in North Raleigh will continue to appreciate.

There are people that enjoy being unhappy and passing along any type of negative information they can find. There are people that live in this area because we love it and have experienced it and are tired of having to EXPLAIN over and over that housing is LOCAL.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary