Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM

67 posts, read 331,385 times

Advertisements

We've just moved here this summer and we're considering getting an emergency back up generator for our house. We have elderly people here who cannot be left without heat etc, and we're wondering how often we will need to use it.

Can anyone who has lived here for a while give me an idea how often your power has been out for 4-5 hours or more? Per year? Over 5 years?

Last edited by kck69; 12-01-2007 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 02:25 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,355,335 times
I've been without power for more than one hour twice in the past 10+ years (maybe 20 years - can't remember that far back anymore ). A few years ago, we had a big ice storm. Knocked down all the power lines, and covered the road with a few inches of ice. Took 4-5 days to get our power back, although we were one of the last in Wake County to get our power back. We were fine with the cold weather, but moved to a hotel once the water went out (we are on a community well).

Prior to that, there was the case where hurricane Fran (was that the one?) came through the area. Knocked down a bunch of trees, and the trees knocked down the power lines. We lost power around 10:30PM, and had power back by 10:30AM the next morning. We were lucky, though, as we were near a fire station. Some neighbors a block away didn't get power back for a week.

So, in my experience, there is a long power outage around every 5-10 years. Depending on where you live, you may see some shorter power outages periodically. I don't really see any more than a few minutes where I live. For most, that doesn't justify a power generator, but with elderly people it may present a problem.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 68,277 times
We've lived here 5 years now. Our power was off about 48 hours with that ice storm in dec '02...otherwise, our power's not been out more than about an hour at most and that's happened just a couple times.

BTW: During Dec '02 we lived ITB in Raleigh and now live in North Hills area.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:09 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,296 times
I live in Durham, not too far from South Point Mall, and I've noticed major power outages 3x in the past 2 years.

The last one actually took out the power in the Mall itself (it was after a bad storm). The other 2x seemed to be for no reason.

I travel 20% of the month, so it's possible that it's gone out more than that, but for the times that I've been in town, this is what I've observed.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck69 View Post
We've just moved here this summer and we're considering getting an emergency back up generator for our house. We have elderly people here who cannot be left without heat etc, and we're wondering how often we will need to use it.

Can anyone who has lived here for a while give me an idea how often your power has been out for 4-5 hours or more? Per year? Over 5 years?
We've had one 35 minute power outage in the past 4 years.

I understand that 5 years ago they did have a huge icestorm that caused a much longer one for some folks, but it isn't a common thing for the power to go out in most areas.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
When we lived in cary, for some reason our neighborhood had the power go out, just in flashes, on a regular basis. The only time we had a real issue was the ice storm in 02, and it was out for 5 days. Now, in all of the neighborhoods surrounding ours had power, somehow we were skipped.

We moved to wake forest in 05 and have not had any major power outages.

They are most common with the ice storms.

Leigh

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
When we lived in cary, for some reason our neighborhood had the power go out, just in flashes, on a regular basis.
We live in Cary, and we do seem to get a lot of short outages. We also were part of a fluke outage when some kind of substation blew up a couple years ago and lost power for about 9 hours. We've been our house 4 years.

My siblings lived in this area and both had very small children when Fran came through in 1996. They lost power for 4-5 days. I think that's what inspired my brother to buy his generator.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I've lived here my whole life and never owned a generator, although I wished I had one twice in my life, once after Fran and once after the ice storm. Both times we didn't have electricity for 1-2 weeks. But that is basically twice in almost 40 years?
More often, you'll get outages once or twice a year for max a day, usually much more like a few hours.
If they have a fireplace you can get gas logs and it won't matter if they have heat or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary