Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 19,254 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from San Jose/Los Gatos area and we are on the way! Work is transferring me out there so the decision was really a no-brainer. We've looked around and really like the Wake Forest area as it is quiet, yet sufficiently developed and has easy access to RTP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 02:51 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
We moved from Folsom in early September. It was voluntarily. My husband is self employed and works from home and I stay at home with my girls. We LOVE it out here so far. Very friendly people, lots of kids. We figured we could live a lot more comfortably out here plus we are closer to family out here. My husband didn't want to have to work with his nose to the grindstone to make mortgage payments on 3 houses and wanted to spend more time with the girls while they are young and still want him around . My mom has already moved here from IL and my in-laws just got into town last week to look for a house before they head back to Carmichael, CA to list their house for sale. We are in Cary.

Erika

Old 11-01-2006, 12:10 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,203 times
Wink to cncsmomndad

sounds like you are going thru the same thing that my family is. first my sisters, daughter and i decided to moved to raleigh since a friend of ours moved there and loved it, then one of my daughter's best friend has decided to move back there too and she also met someone through a work related seminar that lives there too. now her sister, brother-in-law and little girl are looking at moving there and their mom is looking at raleigh as a possibility too. this i think is nice when friends and family decide to move to the same area since you have a ready built network and support system and then you get to make new friends and meet you family and old friends new friends also. makes it for a very comfortable situation. good luck and have a great time in your new home city.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:04 PM

127 posts, read 599,959 times
Just eat alot of In-N-Out burgers before you move out here. I moved out from California about a year and a half ago, and I can honestly say that In-N-Out is one of the only things I miss from SoCal.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:55 PM

72 posts, read 212,569 times
Default Single, Young, Moving from So Cal...

its great to see so many people that have moved out there from California that love it... I have been doing a lot of research trying to get out of Cali and narrowed down to Portland, Denver and Raleigh... when i went out to visit, it was no contest... I was planning on moving to raleigh in May, but i found a house i liked and im in Escrow!! So im moving in 7 weeks!

I'm a young college grad, single, female moving by myself... Anyone have any advice for me? i'd love to hear people's opinions who have been out there for a while... I currently work in Administration (Office Manager) and wont have a job until after i move out there... hopefully that wont be too difficult to find. What is the daily life like out there? What do you love that's different than California, or what do you really miss? i heard the IN-N-OUT comment, i'll be sure to make a stop there on my way out hehe. Looking forward to meeting some good new friends and a whole new life! Anything i should try to go out and see right away? or how did you all deal with the cold weather?? being from Orange County, anything below 60 is freezing to me!!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
Hello,

Some GREAT info on this site, glad I found.

I am currently living in California, I moved out here in 2000 from Maine for computers. I am a web/application developer and now that I am ready to start a family, I am considering moving out of california. With a million people around san jose, housing out of reach (600-700k for a single family home), and schools in crisis, I am wanting a lifestyle like I grew up with.

I would like to move somewhere that I can continue to work in my field and still make some what decent money. If anyone could help with these questions:

1. Reality, will it be possible to make 50-70k a year?

2. With that being asked, is buying a home possible? Not looking for new necessarily.

3. How is renting?

4. How is the commute? I commute 25 miles now and it takes an hour, can I expect worse?

I have signed up for multiple relocation packages and will be studying up for awhile

Old 02-01-2009, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 10,564 times
Ok....so I have heard many good things about NC. I am also a Southern Cali girl (28 year old school teacher) possibly moving to the Triangle area. My question is, do many people like country music out in that area? Are there any places for country music fans to go? Please let me know. Thanks!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillard View Post
Hello,

Some GREAT info on this site, glad I found.

I am currently living in California, I moved out here in 2000 from Maine for computers. I am a web/application developer and now that I am ready to start a family, I am considering moving out of california. With a million people around san jose, housing out of reach (600-700k for a single family home), and schools in crisis, I am wanting a lifestyle like I grew up with.

I would like to move somewhere that I can continue to work in my field and still make some what decent money. If anyone could help with these questions:
1. Reality, will it be possible to make 50-70k a year?

Depends on your skillset. Times are tough here too just now.

2. With that being asked, is buying a home possible? Not looking for new necessarily.

If you have a good FICO score and a good job, plenty to buy.

3. How is renting?

Have rented flats here 20 years. Decent selection. Decent prices.

4. How is the commute? I commute 25 miles now and it takes an hour, can I expect worse?

All depends on where you choose to live and work. Should be better. One big gotcha is the almost total absence of good public transit.

I have signed up for multiple relocation packages and will be studying up for awhile

Come and look before deciding. Relo packages can make hell look like Club Med. I once lived in LA and it's very different.

Do your research. Then get a job before taking the plunge. We came from New Orleans in 1989 and love Raleigh.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:34 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
Just eat alot of In-N-Out burgers before you move out here. I moved out from California about a year and a half ago, and I can honestly say that In-N-Out is one of the only things I miss from SoCal.
You've got to be kidding. In and Out is HORRIBLE. Even McDs, as nasty as it is, beats In-and-Vomit by about 1,000,000,000,000.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 PM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
Wow I definitely beg to differ. In and Out ROCKS and Im from California....miss that place a LOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary