Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:08 AM

40 posts, read 104,661 times

Advertisements

So I was driving home yesterday on the highway and I saw 2 car accidents. The first one was probably some minor damage, but the second one the car's front got totally destroyed. I guess that's what happens when you're going very fast and can't stop in time. There was injury reported so I hope no one got hurt real bad.

If you go to the Raleigh traffic twitter page, you can see all the car accidents. Looks like there is a lot of them every day. I've seen several car accidents, just didn't expect so many of them.

I try to be very careful when driving so luckily no accident so far.

How many car accidents do you see when you are out there?

Any good tips for driving safely? ex: always be very careful at intersections, even if the light is green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,048 times
I've not been in an accident in many years (knock on wood!) and none since moving to the Triangle. I have witnessed two accidents here, however. Both were at the intersection of Davis Drive & High House in Cary. Both were quite scary and happened right in front of me. I'm always super careful going through that intersection as a result.

I think you just have to be alert and expect the unexpected. Let up on the gas if you think a driver might turn in front of you, things like that. I rode a motorcycle for many years and I think that gives you an extra vigilance, especially since it's clear that so many drivers are simply not paying attention.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 AM

286 posts, read 685,569 times
When I drive, I assume everyone around me is a moron who is going to do something stupid that will impact me. Then I can be prepared and ready when it really happens. I never "relax" while driving. You have to stay on high alert. The things I see here on my commutes the most are: incorrect merging, sudden lane changes with no signal, really fast cars mixed in with really slow cars, and not changing driving habits to match the weather. Again, a lot of driving carefully is being aware of what's going on around you.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
I agree with ReaderGirl. I always expect others to do something that will affect me. I'm also constantly checking traffic in back of me to be on the lookout for someone coming of quickly or erratically.

I drove a motorcycle for a couple of years. You have to expect that every car at every intersection WILL pull out in front of you. When you have the view that all others are out to kill you, your defensive driving skills get honed quickly. I think everyone should drive a motorcycle for a month to develop these skills.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Sure. I've been in an accident. I've been driving 30+ years. Some were my fault and some were not. The worst one was about 25 year ago when I ran off the road because the road was slick and so were my tires. I wasn't going that fast, but I overcorrected after I skidded into the oncoming lane (no traffic thankfully) and then ran off the road and into a telephone pole. That's the only time I got hurt and while I broke some bones my injuries were not very serious in the scheme of things. I had a few other accidents, but they were fender benders and no one was injured. Almost everyone I know has had a car accident of some sort or another. They're dangerous machines.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:51 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They're dangerous machines.
Yes, if you mean people.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Well, I mean both—people and cars and the combination of the two is the worst.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:00 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,581 times
Try the smartphone app WAZE. It is a community of people who report road hazards. It is nice to have the situational awareness to know that there is an object on the road and to expect people to be swerving.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:12 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
I don't pray much, but when I worked in Durham and drove on 40 every day I would pass accidents and thank god it wasn't me.

If it was raining, I'd see a good 3-4 accidents per trip. That's a lot of accidents!

I was so relieved to get a job in Raleigh and have a shorter drive.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
The drivers here include many total a-holes. These fools drive way too fast in bad weather and pull out from driveways without looking

The best way to be as safe as possible is to drive at a respectable speed ignoring the many stupidly high limits still on smaller roads that have now become city streets which need much lower limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary