Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wow, I sincerely hope that someone that you care about never has anything tragic happen to them.
Truly, one of the more idiotic of the many idiotic statements you have made on this forum.
I think you're taking this too seriously. We're not really wishing death on people here, but in all honesty if you're stupid enough to bypass all the warnings telling you that "hey buddy you're probably going to get hit by a damn train if you do this", then my sympathy for you wears thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I think you're taking this too seriously. We're not really wishing death on people here, but in all honesty if you're stupid enough to bypass all the warnings telling you that "hey buddy you're probably going to get hit by a damn train if you do this", then my sympathy for you wears thin.
Look, what the kid did was stupid. But, my point is that the families of these kids are suffering. Try to muster up the decency to not make comments that, somehow, these kids deserved to die.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Look, what the kid did was stupid. But, my point is that the families of these kids are suffering. Try to muster up the decency to not make comments that, somehow, these kids deserved to die.
Right.
Sometimes some things really just don't need to be said. No one thinks driving around the barrier was smart. Any grasp of "Decency" would suggest it isn't necessary to ruthlessly and senselessly pound home the point.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I sincerely hope that anyone related to me isnt stupid enough to race a train through a crossing!!

I dont think his statements were idiotic at all. The only thing idiotic is trying to go around lowered barriers to get across a train track with a train coming.
Thanks for your support.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM

310 posts, read 575,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

In my opinion, those who pass the lowered gates or go on the tracks without seeing they can totally cross belong out of the gene pool. Just too stupid to live.

It's only a real shame when an innocent passenger or train occupant gets hurt or killed.
So I guess the incident being discussed is a shame since the passenger in the car is the one who died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right.
Sometimes some things really just don't need to be said. No one thinks driving around the barrier was smart. Any grasp of "Decency" would suggest it isn't necessary to ruthlessly and senselessly pound home the point.
Yeah, I'm not very impressed by those whose reaction to hearing the news is to search the drivers name, find and arrest record and conclude that he is scum of the earth worthy only of contempt. He may very well be scum of the earth worthy only of contempt, but I'm not going to decide that after reading a brief news account.

Last edited by slim2none; 01-07-2014 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: changed prepositions

Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
unfortunately the person who died is not the one who was driving around the gates.
Young people do stupid things. There was recently a lot awareness about trains in Cary which were going to be increasing speeds to 55 mph through town RR crossings
I think most people from smaller towns in NC are used to the super slow freight trains because Amtrak doesn't blow through there. It's sad, we are hyper aware of the trains here in Cary because of how fast they come through now.
obviously that's not an excuse to go around the warning arms but it's a sad situation all around where people paid with their life. Let's remember their family can read our words on this public forum and know they are innocent and grieving a beloved family member.
Anyone who was young once probably remembers a time when they did something stupid once and are lucky to be alive.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
I think most people from smaller towns in NC are used to the super slow freight trains because Amtrak doesn't blow through there.
Depends on which smaller towns you mean. Amtrak trains run approximately parallel to US 29 between the South Carolina border and the Virginia border... parallel to US 70 between Greensboro and Selma... parallel to US 301 between the South Carolina border and the Virginia border... and parallel to Old US 1 between Cary and the South Carolina border. That's a lot of territory. The speed limit for Amtrak trains on all those lines is at least 60 mph and as high as 79 mph. All of those lines see freight trains too, usually at speeds of 40-60 mph. In addition there are freight-only lines in this state where trains run faster 40 mph or faster: Old Fort - Salisbury, Waxhaw-Hamlet-Wilmington, Marion-Charlotte, Selma-New Bern, and Weldon-the Virginia border.

Now it's true that some freight lines are limited to 25 or even 10 mph. The line between Apex and Durham parallel to NC 55 is 10 mph. But the freight railroads could not stay in business if all their freight moved that slowly.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
According to WRAL the driver is now charged with involuntary manslaughter. It wont bring the poor girl back that he killed but im glad to see he is being charged for her death.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM

510 posts, read 901,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I was at a crossing once waiting on a eastbound train. The gates went up, my foot came off the brake and a westbound train passed righ in front of me.

#trouserchilie.
not trying to rag on you but just because the gates come up or start to come up does not mean go. You must wait for the lights to stop flashing. This is especially important with double track for the exact reason you mentioned. When a crossing activates the lights flash for approximately 7 seconds before the gates start coming down. When you have double track and one train clears the crossing and the gates start coming up, a train coming in the opposite direction can start to activate the crossing and the gates will then come back down without that 7 second cushion because the gates were never entirely locked in the up position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary