Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:55 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times

Advertisements

Many apartment complexes are also requiring renters to carry $100K in liability insurance which you can get for $10+ a month depending on the coverage options you select. But it's an added cost to factor into your monthly apartment rental expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Many apartment complexes are also requiring renters to carry $100K in liability insurance which you can get for $10+ a month depending on the coverage options you select. But it's an added cost to factor into your monthly apartment rental expenses.
Wait till you see the rotten Raleigh water bills that are as full of junk fees as an airline ticket.

Our 1BR runs over $60/month with 2 residents and a washer.

Electricity in our total electric energy efficient building runs an average of $100/month.

To survive on a modest income, many need government assistance which is very hard to obtain in NC.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
It makes sense though, if you think about it. Technically an ex-con who has kept themselves out of trouble can be perceived as a problem of the past, whereas someone who would place toxins into the air other people may breathe (or potentially inside housing they don't own), or at bare minimum be a contributor to the escalating cost of health-care, could/should be perceived as someone who still has a problem with consideration for others and hasn't matured past it yet.
My worries about renting to a smoker would have way more to do with worries that they would fall asleep and burn the place down (or otherwise cause burns) than putting temporary "toxins in the air" that only they are breathing.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Honestly I wouldn't rent to a smoker because of the smell it would leave. My DH has switched to vaping and though not perfect it has made a huge difference in the smell of our clothes,house,everything. Nicotine stains walls,ceilings and the odor permeates the whole house even if they say they never smoke inside( usually a lie).

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 27,959 times
I think this is where I should say thanks for the info but before anyone puts me in a category of placing toxins in the air, let's start with big business, auto emissions, nuclear waste, pesticides sprayed on what we eat and drink, besides what I breathe in and out.

And whatever space I rent is obligated to two issues: respect for where I am and respect for what I do. As long as both are reconciled there should be no problem. If I'm asked to smoke outside then it is what I would do, if there is no objection, so be it. But smoking isn't the issue as much as housing is concerned.

And I've matured, smokijoo. Don't need another scar on my back since I carry enough of them. Condemn not who you do not know, but rather go after those who have committed injustices day after day and are never caught. I'm sure you, as well as others understands how that works.

And no, it isn't a Section-8 voucher. It is a voucher designed to help those that are either disabled, blind or over 65 to gain housing after release from prison.

I have yet to rent a place but there is one with possibilities I will know of in a few days. Again, to those with positive feedback, I thank you.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
Can someone please help me find a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in Raleigh Nc, rent 330-445 I will be attending Wake Tech in August of 2015 and i need a place to stay please help !!!!! [email]jmurrell10@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 05-15-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrell03 View Post
Can someone please help me find a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in Raleigh Nc, rent 330-445 I will be attending Wake Tech in August of 2015 and i need a place to stay please help !!!!! jmurrell10@yahoo.com
You're in the wrong area for those rents. No way you can get anything at the budget you list.

Try the school for some ideas or, if possible, commute if you live with your parents in the area.

A mobile home rental is a possibility.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:18 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You're in the wrong area for those rents. No way you can get anything at the budget you list.

Try the school for some ideas or, if possible, commute if you live with your parents in the area.

A mobile home rental is a possibility.
I'm thinking they are looking for a roommate situation. I don't really believe anyone expects that kind of rent anywhere. For a trailer it's going to cost more then that. The cheapest trailer I ever rented was 500+ and that was over five years ago.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm thinking they are looking for a roommate situation. I don't really believe anyone expects that kind of rent anywhere. For a trailer it's going to cost more then that. The cheapest trailer I ever rented was 500+ and that was over five years ago.
That would make sense. The school might help.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:13 PM

248 posts, read 494,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceinsilence View Post
I think this is where I should say thanks for the info but before anyone puts me in a category of placing toxins in the air, let's start with big business, auto emissions, nuclear waste, pesticides sprayed on what we eat and drink, besides what I breathe in and out.

And whatever space I rent is obligated to two issues: respect for where I am and respect for what I do. As long as both are reconciled there should be no problem. If I'm asked to smoke outside then it is what I would do, if there is no objection, so be it. But smoking isn't the issue as much as housing is concerned.

And I've matured, smokijoo. Don't need another scar on my back since I carry enough of them. Condemn not who you do not know, but rather go after those who have committed injustices day after day and are never caught. I'm sure you, as well as others understands how that works.

And no, it isn't a Section-8 voucher. It is a voucher designed to help those that are either disabled, blind or over 65 to gain housing after release from prison.
My question about Section-8 was actually for the original poster (OP).

I wish you luck in finding housing, but to be honest you do not seem particularly grateful to all of those taxpayers who funded free room and board for you during your prison stay, a simple thank you would be a good start. In some countries they just drag citizens out in the street and pour gas on them and light them up if they even suspect them of a serious crime. Here, you were provided for, given a chance to mature, and even offered assistance to get you back on your feet, yet you seem to have some disdain for not being treated as equal to all of the other citizens who not only managed not to become a felon, but supported you during your extended adolescence. Try showing a bit of gratitude and you might find that karma is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary