Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times

Advertisements

Anybody know the story about this house? What goes on here? After following a tip online, I discovered ANOTHER fake house - this one off Six Forks Rd. in Raleigh. I stopped today to check it out - blacked out windows, just like the one on Wade Avenue, no walkway, just like the one on Wade. This one, however, has antennae and a satellite dish in the backyard - and the sign on the door says something about "Cablevison" (I'm confused - I thought we had Time Warner Cable in Raleigh - how does that work?).
Attached Thumbnails
Another "fake house" like the one on Wade Ave. - anyone know the story?-img_1236.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Cablevision was the provider for this area pre-TWC.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 AM

263 posts, read 571,917 times
That's pretty cool! Where is this one?

Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
It is off of Windel drive. There is still a tower in the back yard and it has been there since the late 70's early 80's by my memory. Here is a screenshot from Google earth in 2002 where you can see the dishes. I am assuming it was or still is receiving some of the signals for the area cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Another "fake house" like the one on Wade Ave. - anyone know the story?-capture6.png  

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It is off of Windel drive. There is still a tower in the back yard and it has been there since the late 70's early 80's by my memory. Here is a screenshot from Google earth in 2002 where you can see the dishes. I am assuming it was or still is receiving some of the signals for the area cable.
So, basically, this is analogous to the Pine-Tree Cell Tower off of Harrison? That is to say, it's a Cable Receiving function, and rather than having an eye-sore, they must make it blend by putting up a "fake house"? If that's the case, that's actually pretty cool. ("Pretty Cool": Words I never expected to use in a post about any of our local cable providers...)

Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 AM

360 posts, read 720,866 times
The Triangle Business Journal has an article today about one owned by the city that is actually a water pump station. They said it was designed to blend into its surroundings so people wouldn't have to stare at the ugly water pumps and accessories. This mystery house on Wade Avenue isn't what you think it is - Triangle Business Journal

Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
This is so funny. The Wade Ave house has been there for 25 years IIRC. I remember it being built as a kid. Get the right person to rediscover it and its suddenly the talk of the town and reported on in 10 different places. I even saw a story on Gizmodo.com this morning about it. I guess with new people always moving here it is bound to happen over and over.

I will put this here now. The lanes on a section of Wake Forest Rd right before it turns to Falls of Neuse were painted more narrowly than usual to get more capacity in tight right of way in the early-mid eighties!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:

I will put this here now. The lanes on a section of Wake Forest Rd right before it turns to Falls of Neuse were painted more narrowly than usual to get more capacity in tight right of way in the early-mid eighties!
Oh man that's old news on this forum. We've talked about that a ton of times here.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
Quote:
This must be the section where I always feel like I'm going to run into somebody because the lanes are so narrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary