Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,964 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan to downsize from a 2,800 sqft, 2 acre lot with a target date of about 2017.

Would like about 1,800 to 2,200 sq ft, home, with the lot no more than .25 acres.

Other:
First floor master
3 Bed / 2 bath
Minimal exterior maintenance.
Newer construction (no more than 5 years old). Would consider building
Would like something architecturally interesting, like but not a need.
Prefer well built, energy efficient over a lot of unnecessary amenities.

Would like to be within a reasonable distance to NCSU or UNC/CH to attend classes, etc., or at least reachable by city bus service. Walkable to some amenities

Est. Price: $425, but of course would prefer less.

Single family home preferred.

Any thoughts where to start looking?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM

150 posts, read 175,449 times
That's looking pretty far out.

Too bad about the timing. Depending on where you live, we could just trade houses

Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcgreg View Post
Est. Price: $425, but of course would prefer less.

Single family home preferred.

Any thoughts where to start looking?? Thanks!
It sounds like Briar Chapel's Green Builders would fit many of your requirements, especially the Saussy-Burbank homes and M/I homes. Perhaps it is a bit too far to UNC. It may be also difficult to get a first-floor master on a home with only a quarter acres lot, but you could start looking at those builders.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-11-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 9,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It sounds like Briar Chapel's Green Builders would fit many of your requirements, especially the Saussy-Burbank homes and M/I homes. Perhaps it is a bit too far to UNC. It may be also difficult to get a first-floor master on a home with only a quarter acres lot, but you could start looking at those builders.
Thanks! Just the information we need.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:13 AM

84 posts, read 160,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I second this recommendation! I'm a Briar Chapel resident, and we have LOTS of people that have downsized to homes here and there should be several builders to fit what you're looking for. I live in a Saussy Burbank, and they are great, but I don't think any of their current models have a first floor master. Check out ForeverHomes, M/I, Dickerson, and possibly Garman (not as familiar with Garman, they may or may not have 1st flr masters... but holy-moly, LOVE their homes!). All have adorable homes & floor plans, while not cutting-edge architecturally, they are very nice looking and well-designed. All should be on lots at or less than .25 acres, they all have homes in your square foot range, and the whole neighborhood follows excellent energy/efficiency/environmental guidelines. M/I and Forever Homes are part of the "villas" plan where you pay a bit more for HOA but it includes yard maintenance. They haven't built many Garmans yet, but they all have beautiful but very small yards with hardly any grass to mow.

If you are looking to move in 2017, if you want a new construction you'll be on the south side of the neighborhood which is just opening up this year. Otherwise, by then, the homes they've built in the last couple years in the north side of the neighborhood will be approaching 5 years old and I'm sure you could find a nice one. It's a big neighborhood, so always plenty of houses on the market.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Southern Village or Meadowmont maybe in Chapel Hill?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM

305 posts, read 761,343 times
You may want to consider the Hills at Southpoint development in Durham. The ranch plans are very popular here at the moment, typically 3 BR, some with an optional loft. Base sq ft is around 2000, and lots are in the ballpark of .25 acre. The development backs to the American Tobacco trail, and it's about a 2 mile walk/fast and easy bike ride to Southpoint mall and the nearby shops. All the homes are Energy Star certified. You would be about 20 min by car to UNC or Duke, maybe closer to 30 to NCSU. By about 2017 I'm guessing the development will be built out, but homes being built now will be coming up for resale. There are a good number of young families in the development, but a good number of retirees downsizing here as well. Maybe worth your consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary